Re Power question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striperswiper

Reaction score
I am repowering from a 1999 Yamaha 225 OX 66 to an 2008 F250 4 stroke.

This is not fly by wire so it has cable controls ect.

Will my current wiring and guages work with this engine or will I have to put in a new harness, guages ect?

If you've done this repower could you please provide any problems you encountered and the approximate cost.

Thanks

Control cables will work definately. I am sure you can use the same engine harness. However, since you are spending the money on a new motor you might as well enjoy the benefits of it with the new fancy command link guages and stuff. Then you would need the new harness. I know looking at new etecs the harnesses and everything else that came with it were maybe an extra grand or 2. I will say that you will love how much quieter the 250 will be.

I had upgraded from an OX66 250 to an F250 several years ago. I have morse controls. Although I didn't have to change the cables, I did anyway. I kept the original harness. For whatever reason, I did have to replace the tach. And I did go for the fuel management system (worth every penny).

Primo
Is the fuel managment system like a flo scan or is it something entirely different?

The fuel management system on the Command links can tell you fuel burned, fuel left in the tank, mpg, bunch of stuff. Not sure what flo scan does

ha my cruise speed at 35mph is 22gph. I would think with the mod v hulls once you hit a certain hull speed the amount of power to push it faster starts to increase exponentially. Thats why mod vs dont need that much power to move them but they also arent 50mph boats.

2820 with 4 men 120 gallons on fuel , sea conditions CRAP 3-5 short intervals and wind with tide 3800 rpm 28 mph ...... on way back in

on way out it was 1-2 smooth but slack tide....

trip was 44.5 miles used 26.5 gallons on twin 225 4x

1.679 mpg i thought that was pretty good

If i push it harder say 4400 4800 the mpg drops down to 1.1 so for me its 25-28 mph on ss 3 blade props

1.679 Is very good mpg. I tried a few different 3 blades and got very good economy and speed out of the mirage plus just didnt like the running attitude or loaded performance. I get consistent economy with the 4 blades with heavy loads. Last night 10 people plus food drinks cruised at 1.5mpg. I never am light so why prop the boat to run that way right? Any idea on your props Reel?

sounds good to me. Just asking because I had some 13.25x 19 props that came on the boat and they were good until I put a load on it. Now with Rev 4 I can spin it up to 6100RPM with a light to medium load and 52mph. I also raised the motors up 2 holes. Sometimes it seems that those smaller diameter props slip more at higher speeds. Like my buddies 23 Sea Hunt with a 19 pitch on it will only run 49 as well which makes me think hes slipping some. Hey but leaving it alone if you are satisfied with it is alot cheaper than buying new props. :lol:

Yamaha....
Says 5800 is almost optimal....

My boat is 250 gallons so
6400 boat
1200 motors
2080 lbs fuel
100 lbs fluids
90 lbs water
200 electronics house battery
200 fishing equip and lead
100 lbs outrigging
100 chain, rope and anchor
70 combing pads and cushions

10540 load without ice bait or people

total 11426...

My personal best max speed 49 mph at 5900 rpms i think its pretty well propped .

Back