Reboarding ladder

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
I keep my boat on a mooring and frequently am out on the moored boat alone. If I fell overboard, assuming the best scenario, I could get back to the swim platform. However, I would not be able to deploy my boarding ladder from the water. It is mounted to the transom with clips and can't be reached from the water. I could deploy it every time I am on the boat alone, but I'll bet that the one time I didn't do it would be when I needed it. I am thinking of making or buying some sort of rope ladder that I could store on the swim platform that could be deployed while in the water. I can't spend a lot of money on this, but thought that a small investment might be a good idea. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

Doesn't sound like you'd need anything too elaborate, just a little assistance getting you up on the platform. How bout a few dropper loops in a spare line to get your feet in?

If you have more time on your hands, make one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEXttVyT1A4

Climb up on the lower unit, I do it all the time.

If you are really lazy, get yourself up on the anti-vent plate and hit the trim switch and ride her up, my kids do it all the time.

As long as your batteries are on, which they probably are if you are on the boat, you could always trim the motors by the side switch.

CapeCodFrank":16lrz1x8 said:
I keep my boat on a mooring and frequently am out on the moored boat alone. If I fell overboard, assuming the best scenario, I could get back to the swim platform. However, I would not be able to deploy my boarding ladder from the water. It is mounted to the transom with clips and can't be reached from the water. I could deploy it every time I am on the boat alone, but I'll bet that the one time I didn't do it would be when I needed it. I am thinking of making or buying some sort of rope ladder that I could store on the swim platform that could be deployed while in the water. I can't spend a lot of money on this, but thought that a small investment might be a good idea. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

Check out Defender's site for their Folding Emergency Ladder $32.99. Hook it on a cleat. If you fall over, swim up to the side at the cleat & pull it over the side & climb back on. Should work. :wink:

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I kind of like the rope ladder video, as it seems I would only need a couple of steps. I'll keep the "ride the lower unit" idea in the back of my mind in case I am stranded. I guess I am getting a bit paranoid after attending a Coast Guard session on how quickly we lose the ability to save ourself in cold water. Falling in on a nice summer afternoon is one thing, but the water is 50 degrees now. Thanks again.

All you guys under forty can ignore this. Maybe. It goes without saying that boarding a boat from the water presents a whole different set of circumstances than boarding from land. My 'T' ladder that fits into the bracket on the swim platform serves it's purpose when it is pre-deployed for swimmers. It is dangerous to try to use when your stern is close in to shore or rough water due to it's proximity to the engines and the potential for being thrown into the engine or the engine bounching off the bottom with your foot under it. I keep a regular three step ladder with folding arms that hook over the gunnel. Guests can board from the side away from the engines with nice high looped handles to give them leverage.
I frequently have guests on board who, should they fall overboard, or under any circumstances, would have a difficult time mustering up the energy to climb the 'T' ladder. My concern is that the potential for the shock of cold water, being fully clothed and other factors can make it impossible for you to pull yourself aboard, unassisted, from the water. A rope ladder requires considerably more energy and balance than a conventional ladder.
Solution: Make it a habit when you are on the boat by yourself to wear an inflatable life jacket. When you are stopped, hang a solid ladder in the water with handles that loop over the gunnels. Also, if you are equipted with trim tabs I have found that I can use one of them as a step to help boose me up to a point where I can grab the bimni hardware or the air vents in my Yamaha 115's cowling for a pretty easy boading. Here again, if you are over weight or in bad health or just getting old like me, it might not work for you.

Back