ReelTime: Second Station Parts List and Basic Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelTimeCapt

Reaction score
Second Helm Folks:

Thanks to the other great 2nd station posts here on CP and to Dale, I'm well underway laying out and buying the Key components for a second helm for my 2310WA. I purchased a like new helm pump and Morse Twin SR control from him, bought the free standing second station fiberglass box from Parker and picked up a steering wheel and 2nd Morse Twin SR control off of eBay.

So now I have a few basic questions about the rigging and components. Below you'll see a list of Parts and just below that I have a few questions.

CANDIDATE PARTS LIST:
===================================================================================================

Line# System Part Name Qty Part Number Mfg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Steering 2nd Station Helm Pump 1 HH5574 Sea Star
2 Control Teleflex Morse Twin SR Control 2 E36469-1 Teleflex
3 Control Teleflex Xtreme 3300 series - #1 1 CCX63314 Teleflex
4 Control Teleflex Xtreme 3300 series - #2 1 CCX63314 Teleflex
5 Control Teleflex Xtreme 3300 series - #3 1 CCX63314 Teleflex
6 Control Teleflex Xtreme 3300 series - #4 1 CCX63314 Teleflex
7 Control Clutch/Transmission Connection Kit ? 1 ? Teleflex
8 Control Throttle Connection Kit ? 1 ? Teleflex
9 Control Clutch Detent Kit #036774 ? 1 #036774. Teleflex
10 Control In-series Dual Station Kit ? 1 #039490-002 Teleflex
11 Control Neutral Safety Switch Kit 1 #041117 Teleflex
12 Control 2nd Starter Switch - Cole Hersee Push Button Switch M-626-BP or 608 BP? 1 M-626-BP Cole Hersee
13 Control 2nd Kill Switch - Cole Hersee Push Button Switch M-626-BP or 608 BP? 1 M-626-BP Cole Hersee
14 Control Safety Switch - Yamaha Part Number? 1 TBD
17 Helm Freestanding 2nd Stattion Fiberglass Helm 1 Parker Marine Parker Marine
18 Steering Filler Cap - None Venting 1 HA5432 Sea Star
19 Steering Steering Wheel, 15.5 Inch 3/4 std taper 1 TBD SCHMITT
20 Steering 3rd line for compensation/vent 1 TBD Sea Star
21 Steering Dual Second Station Fitting Kit 1 TBD Sea Star
22 Rigging Transom bracket rigging hose 1 MAR-THRUT-RS-M2 Yamaha
23 Rigging Black Rigging Hose (25 Feet) 1 ABB-RIGHS-BK-25 Yamaha

===================================================================================================

CONTROL QUESTIONS:
1. From the Teleflex manual and picture below, it looks like the two Morse Twin SR controls are run in Series (?)
2. Here's a silly one, it looks the proper way to rug the Morse Twin SR controls is Throttle on the Right (RED)
and Shifter on the Left (BLACK) (?)
3. For the Morse Twin SR controls, do I need to use a Clutch Detent Kit in one station, both or none?
4. For the Morse Twin SR controls, do I need to use a Neutral Safety Switch in one station, both or none?
5. The Teleflex Manual mentioned a "Clutch/Transmision Kit" and a "Throttle Connection Kit" but did not reference
part numbers. Do you have any idea if these are needed ?
6. For my Starter and Kill Switch I plan to use Cole Hersee momentary push button type. Which model is
preferred? I see two possible candidates: M-626-BP and 608-BP... (?)
7. From my candidate list above are there any other Control Parts you know of that I may need?
8. What is the preferred hardware to anchor the Second station down? I have 6 mount points and can through bolt
several of them. The rest will have to be SS self tapping #10 PH.

GENERAL INSTALLATION APPROACH & QUESTIONS:

Here's the approach that seems best, but for those of you that have down this, please share your experience so
that I learn from and possibly avoid mistakes:
Steps...
1. Mount Twin SR Controls to Fiberglass Second Helm Station (will do this at home in my garage)
2. De-rig Throttle/Shifter Cables from Yamaha F200
3. De-rig Yamaha 704 Binnacle Cables from First Helm Station
4. Mount Twin SR Controls to Fiberglass First Helm Station
5. Mount Fiberglass Second Helm to boat
6. Measure & Buy Throttle/Shifter Cables from engine to second station and second station to 1st station.
7. Pull in Throttle/Shifter Cables from Engine to second station Morse SR Twin COntrols,..
8. Rig second station Throttle/Shifter Cables to engine and adjust.
9. Then pull in Throttle/Shifter Cables from second station to First Station Morse SR Twin COntrols.
10.Rig second station Throttle/Shifter Cables to First Station Morse SR Twin COntrols.

Here are a few useful links that CP folks haev passed on:
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/i ... Manual.pdf
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/i ... ev%201.pdf
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/ ... 5_1071.pdf
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/telef ... talog.html
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/telef ... /index.htm
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/i ... eutral.pdf
http://www.colehersee.com/catalog_top/index.htm
http://www.boats.net/_search/commonpart ... amaha&ID=9

===============

These are my initial thoughts and questions on the Throttle/Shifter Controls and Rigging. The Steering seems pretty staight forward and I will add into for asap.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide on this.
Best Regards,
Fletcher

Attachments

• Morse SR Twin Install View.gif
    Morse SR Twin Install View.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,266
  • Morse SR Twin Hole Template.gif
    Morse SR Twin Hole Template.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,239
The template worked well and the results are shown in the attached photos.

I'm headed to the hardware to pick up the hole saw as soon as my trusted sidekick (4 yr old son) wakes up... We had fun in the 10: of snow we got yesterday....

Best Regards to All,
Fletcher

Attachments

• SANY5722.JPG
    SANY5722.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 1,190
  • SANY5713.JPG
    SANY5713.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,190
  • SANY5715.JPG
    SANY5715.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 2,179
Very detailed post.
Your efforts will go a long way toward helping other folks who plan this upgrade. 8)

Megabyte":jdfgxlf7 said:
Very detailed post.
Your efforts will go a long way toward helping other folks who plan this upgrade. 8)

Thanks Kevin. Today I plan to finish installing the Helm Pump and will post a few photos. As you can see, I'm mounting the controls the same as yours. It seems more ergonomically friendly than the other way.

FLetcher

Today, I mounted the Helm Pump as you can see by the pictures below. The blue masking tape really keeps the scratches off of the gel coat during tooling. The 4.5 inch hole saw worked well and the secret was to use a medium RPM, clear the saw dust frequently with compressed air and don't rush it. As I did with the Morse SR Twin Control, I marked and drilled the mounting holes for the 4 screws and made sure I had a good dry fit. Next I plan to dress the inner edges of the helm with marine epoxy to keep moisture out.

Next, I'll start planning what's needed to wire on Start/Stop switches..

Fletcher

Attachments

• SANY5737.JPG
    SANY5737.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 2,103
  • SANY5745.JPG
    SANY5745.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 2,103
OK 2nd station guys:

I'm measuring for cables now and here are my basic questions:

1. When you rigged your two Morse SR Twin controls, did you 2nd station guys run them Tandem or Parallel?

2. Did you use Clutch Detent Kits one, both or none of your Morse SR Twin controls?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Fletcher

___________________________...

I only put the clutch detent on the Main helm in the cabin, where the Neutral-Start switch is also located.

Great ??? about tandem or parallel. In my 2-control install, I ran them as tandem. I am unsure how I will proceed using 3 helms.

Syncronizing 2 in tandwm is simple, using those Teleflex Xtreme cables from www.surplusunlimited.com , for best prices I've found (not that i've looked as late).

Dale:

Thanks for the email. You're right:

I talked with the guys this week at Telelfex Tech Support and they let confirmed that I only needed 1 clutch detent and 1 neutral safety switch.
(They are very helpful by the way)

Since I'm running both station in series and my main helm is the 1st in-line from the engine, I will install them there. This also has advantages I feel because my wiring for Trim and Neutral Safety can easily be made.

Also, if I ever de-install the 2nd station, then it's a cinch. I also feel there is a hugh advantage from a reliability standpoint because the station 1st in-line from the engine is the main helm and the 2nd side helm.

This is cool stuff! I'm stoked!!!

Gotta roll now and go play with Xtreme Cables! LOL

More Later.

Best Regards to All,
Fletcher

John_Madison CT":2th40eot said:
How much was the free standing console from Parker?

Also, have you calculated a total cost?
\

Hi John - The free standing console was $315 + $40 shipping and handling and I ordered it through Norfolk Marine.

I estimate about $1200 total for all my controls, cables, console and other misc material. I'm doing all the labor and my mechanic is there is I need advice or extra hands.

Not bad at all. To do the whole project for under $2K I'd consider a deal.

Seems you need a fair amount of mechanical aptitude though.

Back