remote spotlight yes or no?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montauk555

Reaction score
I want to install a remote spotlight on the front of the pilothouse roof.Does any one have any trial and error tips, like blinding,remote sucks,and so on?And witch company makes the best in quality and reliability.THANKS AGAIN GREAT SITE!!

I installed a remote spotlight (a "Golighte") on a piece of 1/8" model aircraft plywood (drenched in epoxy), and then bungied the plywood base to the top of my Raymarine radar dome. I didn't want to permanently mount it to the hardtop or the top of the radome, thus the bungie approach. I tried using the suction cup on the radome, but after a few hammering waves one night at the CBBT, it was dangling off the side of the hardtop. I don't have a picture of it, but will try to find it in the mess in the basement and get one posted here.

I only use it when at the Ches. Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) complex near Norfolk, VA in Nov and Dec each year. I use it to illuminate the bridge pilings when fishing at night. Once in a while, I'll mount it if I'm doing an overnight croaker mission. The rest of the year it stays in a locker in the v-berth, should it be needed.

The Golight: http://www.aolights.com/catalog/index.p ... cbc16e05fc

I second the Golite. Gets good reviews.

I have a Jabsco, and it is OK. Mounted on cabin top. I have my controls by the shifter. If you can, put it on something mounted on cabin top so it is up higher, otherwise go with the cabintop. Will cut down on some of hte glare off the rails.

Dana

Definately a good investment. Mount as high as possible to cut down on reflection and glare.

Mine is used mostly while pulling the anchor at night with my pot hauler. I point the light at the front of the pulpit and can see what's going on while I work the hauler from behind the pilot house.

With the light you can see what's going on while looking through the pilot house rear window AND the front windshield.

Here are some photos of mine, the control mount in front of shifter, original light and then when I mounted it higher.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02406 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02406 (Medium).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,816
  • Jabsco spotlight closeup_070403 (Medium).JPG
    Jabsco spotlight closeup_070403 (Medium).JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,816
  • DSC02336 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02336 (Medium).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,816
FWIW I mount the GoLight with the remote (long) power cord onto a starboard plate that attaches all the way out on the end of the pulpit. The controls make it all the way back to the helm easily. In this way - it is not mounted permanently - easy fast and secure to hook up, but the best part ...

I get ZERO GLARE from the bow rails or any other part of the boat :D !

A spotlight is certainly worth having -- especially if you boat in an area with a million lobster pots like I do. I've got the Jabsco on the roof of my 2520 with the remote mounted next to the helm. I don't use it all that much, but when I need it I'm always glad to have it :D

here is how I set up my remote spot/flood.
the original mount for it wouldnt work coming off of the radar mast so I placed it as far forward as I could and ran the wires through the front spreader wire run.
I havent run it at night so I cant really tell you about reflection off the bow.

Attachments

• flood_spot_joystick (Medium).jpg
    flood_spot_joystick (Medium).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,332
  • splash2 (Medium).jpg
    splash2 (Medium).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,332
we have a Good spotlight (thats the manufacturer, not a review :D ) mounted on the pulpit rail with a special bracket. not sure where the previous owner got the bracket, but its a really great idea, no glare off of anything, and it doesnt obstruct your vision really at all. the spotlight itself is ok, but if i had to do it agian i'd get something a bit brighter. heres a pic of the mounting

Attachments

• boat bow pic.JPG
    boat bow pic.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 2,314
All my experience with search lights says higher is better.

Here are a few shots of my mount over my radome. The light is a search and a flood light combo. I can see forward with no deck reflection and aft to my motor. All works fine for my needs.

The night photos may not be very good as I am not a night photo shooter. The flood light is perfect for me but the search light could use a bit more power. I had trouble finding the ideal search/flood combo.

,,,,,,,,,,,Pete

Attachments

• top view from port (Small).JPG
    top view from port (Small).JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,301
  • Search & flood light facing fwd. (Small).jpg
    Search & flood light facing fwd. (Small).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,301
  • Search & Flood Light facing aft (Small).jpg
    Search & Flood Light facing aft (Small).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,301
Back