Replacement trim tab blades on 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
I just finished my 7th season with my 2120 SC. The dealer did a poor job originally painting the trim tabs on the boat. I was thinking of replacing the blades and leaving the 304 stainless without anti fouling paint. Good or bad idea? Do I even need to replace them at this point?

I wouldn't bother replacing them and so far to date I have tried 3 methods to paint them and nothing sticks! All I do now is pressure wash, sand clean, solvent wash and at least put 1 coat of Tri-Lux (anti-fouling for metals) on them when I paint the OB bracket with the same paint.

By now, 8+ years later, I have a basecoat of old paint covering maybe half the tabs.

The TriLux minimizes growth and slime, but is probably feel good at best, so on a cut-out bracketed boat I'd probably leave them bare!

I've been sanding and wire brushing them every season. Then give them a coat of primer and tri lux,however I have seen more barancle growth the last couple of years.

What Dale Said, I have tried everything as well. I even barrier coated mine and that came off. I just stay after them through out the summer, give them a good power washing in the fall, sand and paint them in the spring with the trilux 33.

There's a product called Prop-Speed that I used on the prop, shaft, and rudder on my 2520 inboard for anti-fouling protection. It consists of an etching agent, primer, and final coat. It's very effective and will adhere to the tabs but is very expensive. I bought a small kit (200 ml) at West for $230 and didn't have enough to do my tabs. A 500 ml kit sells for $360, and should do a set of tabs fully. A 1000ml kit is $469. yikes! Makes Tri-lux look pretty attractive. I think (hope) it will go 2 years without re-application. Again, Prop-Speed's expensive, but it really works well. It's pretty standard use now on big / fast inboards and sportfish.

At that price I'll just go an buy a set of replacement blades..........was told yesterday when they dropped the boat off I also needed a power head gasket. Between that,and the water pump and timing belt I hope I am sitting down when I get the bill. :shock:

Why replace the blades???

That is not going to make paint stick.

Also, what caused the head gasket to fail?

I saw that they have a powder coated blade now, figured that might do the trick. I did not speak to the mechanic who actually worked on the boat,so I do not know what he has say...........I will go there in the am an talk to him when I pay my bill.

This is what my Dad does on his 40 sportfish, its crazy but it works.

When you scrape the barnacles off, leave the little ring that is left behind, paint over that. Next year, do the same. After a few seasons you will have a nice bed of "primer" that will never come off.

I want to start a company to investigate what barnacles use to stick to metal. If we can put that stuff in a can, I'd be a millionaire. :mrgreen:

Back