Replacing control helm (2110)?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
Not the best picture of specifically what I am referencing:

Boatseats1.jpg

..... but is there a part # or is there the ability to order a replacement control helm (if that is the right word)? I bought this boat used and it needs a bit of TLC over the winter and one of my sore spots is the control center layout and mis-matched guages.

Being an older boat (1991), I am sure it's seen it wear/tear and replacement of guages but it really is bothersome to me (Type A). Two of the guages need repalcement anyhow (trim and temp) and some of the working ones either don't match or are very weathered and could use a face lift.

I am thinking the best approach is to replace that entire hatch assembly. It's one solid peice that connects via a hinge below and a pin assembly up top. It houses all the wiring and backs of the guages. In my head, this would give me a clean slate to reinstall the steering assembly and new guages in a position of my choosing. It would also replace the old, worn out peice with a clean peice - thereby improving the overall look of the boat.

Is this something easily done? Can you simply buy this peice somewhere? Could you get something like this from Parker already assembled per the original build with the holes already drilled for stock guages?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to do the job yourself, you could get the parts from Jim at BOE Marine over in Stevensville.
Take him the helm part, and he can tell you what you need, and how much it will cost.
Keep in mind though, he will be at the sailboat show this coming weekend, then the powerboat show the weekend after that.

If you want to farm out the job, Jim might even be able to do that too.
I was in his shop today and he is branching out into new areas in the marine industry.

His present shop is full of winterizing items now, and he intends to open a full service ships store in the spring.
Prices are better than what you would find at West Marine too.

Since he is close to you, it would be worth the drive to see what is possible.

I have contemplated the same thing. I have "blanks" on my helm that used to have gauges. Someone drilled a hole for a 12 volt accessory plug and it spider-webbed like crazy. Its a mess. I was contemplating taking everything off, glassing it solid and re-gel coating the entire thing so I can start from scratch. I will probably never do it but I have thought about it.

Parkerman":1letephw said:
Someone drilled a hole for a 12 volt accessory plug and it spider-webbed like crazy. Its a mess. I was contemplating taking everything off, glassing it solid and re-gel coating the entire thing so I can start from scratch. I will probably never do it but I have thought about it.

It sounds like the hole for the 12v accessory plug was improperly drilled.
If you want to drill through gel coated fiberglass, you need to first lay down at least 2 layers of blue 'painters tape'.
Then, using a sharp, high quality hole saw, carefully drill your hole.
Failing to do that will result in what you have from the previous owner.

Glassing in all the holes and starting over is extremely do-able.
Another method is to cut out the whole helm area where the gages are, and replace it with a starboard 'cover' in the color of your choice.

Cut out the holes in the starboard, install your gages, then attach the whole 'plate' to the helm with through bolts and finish washers.

It's another option...

Megabyte":3h2oc8qp said:
Another method is to cut out the whole helm area where the gages are, and replace it with a starboard 'cover' in the color of your choice.

Cut out the holes in the starboard, install your gages, then attach the whole 'plate' to the helm with through bolts and finish washers.

It's another option...

This is exactly what I was thinking but I figured it would cheapen the look but it would serve the purpose and be easier for me to handle (I don't do fiberglass). If this is a relatively common approach, this would be my choice.

Hannibal":2mjq3syl said:
If this is a relatively common approach, this would be my choice.

It is... and if care is taken to execute well, it can look pretty nice.
Route the edges to make the 'plate' look good, and take care to mount everything exactly as you want it.

The beauty with this method is that if you ever want to update your helm with new equipment, all it takes is a new piece of 1/4" starboard and your time. :wink:

I echo Kevin's idea of using Starboard to cover the entire area. I have done this on a couple of center console boars that I have had before. It is very easy to do the layout the way you want it.

I would suggest using half inch material as it is a little stiffer than 1/4 inch if there is no support over a large area. Run the edge on a router table and it will give a nice rounded finished look.

You can find "cut off" pieces on eBay in various colors. Seafoam is close to the Parker gelcoat color. I might suggest using black as the gauges will stand out better at a glance.

Hope this helps

I think you all have sold me on this. I will start looking at what all I need to make this happen.

Thanks everyone.

Back