Repower options for 25 SportCabin Notch Transom (long)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJim

Reaction score
I wanted to get some discussion going on my options for repower.

Let me preface this with I have had NO problems with my boat, or the 01' HPDI 200. The motor starts on the first touch of the key, its relatively quiet (perhaps not as quiet as an F200, or a DF200, but way more so than the optimax, which for a direct inject motor i find obscene), it's maint. free (no pesky oil changes), and it's relatively fuel efficient. I am always jealous of the silent four stroke guys, where my DFI 2 stroke is a little noisier, but half as noisy as the OX66 guys.

I guestimate that I'm getting about 1.5-2.0nmpg on my hpdi. I do not have a fuel management system (navman system isnt compatible with direct fuel injection motors), and my boat was never installed with yama fuel management systems, just digital tach, speedo and fuel gauges.

My cruise numbers with 3 big guys on board is approx:
(i am using a 3 bladed yamaha SS prop, 17" pitch - forgot to write down diameter)

21kts @ 3700 RPM

24kts @ 4000 rpm

27kts @ 4500 rpm

30kts @ 5000 rpm (WOT).

I consider myself overwheeled a bit, because the boat has a bunch of gear on board (bunker spoon rods, umbrella rods, spare reels, tackle, umbrella rigs, 4 gals 2 stroke oil) and is usually runnign with 3 big guys and a full fuel (100gals). I do concede that the bottom is a little scaley (the bottom paint hasnt been sanded or soda blasted since I bought the boat in 04, we've been painting over last year's paint). I am going to sand down to gelcoat and reapply bottom paint this year. The highest RPM I saw on this boat was about 5200 at about 31kts with the motor trimmed up, and absolutely NO fishing gear on board, and a clean bottom.

Here are the givens:

1) It's a mod V, without trim tabs. I can only go so fast when it's choppy without getting my head kicked in. I turn about 18kts into 2-3ft short chop relatively comfortably, with the occasional throttle down for a large boat wake, etc.

2) More HP will not necessarily make the boat more or less usable, as more HP will give me topend I do not use on a regular basis. When it is calm and I have a long run (7-8nm) i run at 4000-4100 rpm.

3) The boat is older, heavy, and always runs loaded.

4) The motor is run on West marine brand TCW3. Every drop of fuel burned is treated with ring free and star tron. I feel that my motor burns more oil than i'd like to buy, but whatever (currently burning about 15gals a season average)

5) This is NOT a bluewater boat. I do not generally run further than 15 nm or so, and generally those runs are within 6-7 nm of shore. We have always talked about chunking for tuna at the Mud Hole with this boat, but we never do it (especially now that gas is $4 a gallon). I run to some wrecks and reefs with it, but it is used as a 'Limited Coastwise' boat - ie not more than 20nm from harbor of safe refuge.

Would I benefit fuel wise (and cost wise considering TCW3) on repowering to a F250 (yamaha has been so great to us, hard to switch brands and dealer networks) or a DF250 or even a DF300? When I repower I assume I should probably trim tab the boat as well (or even trim tab it this winter with current power). I am not above considerign a verado, as i've seen them in action around the dock, and I am impressed with the digital throttle and shift.

Or is it not even worth repowering a proven and reliable motor, that runs strong. Should I try and rewheel and trim tab the boat instead? I have my first child on the way, and I had actually planned on moving up to a 28-30ft downeast by next year, but perhaps I should stick with my parker (which is paid for in 4 months.)

Keep your current engine.

You will not gain anything in the fuel economy department. The 2.6liter HPDI engines are the best around.

While a four stroke is quiter, and doesnt burn oil, you will NEVER make up the 17k that you will drop in a repower.

My 2 cents.

You NEED a new prop ASAP. You are lugging that engine. You should be swinging a 15pitch Yamaha Saltwater Series, 15pitch Mirage Plus or 16pitch Enertia. This will change your boat. You will be amazed at what your boat will be like.

I would also add a set of Doel Fins or trim tabs.

I have tabs and Doel fins. I dont need the tabs to drop the bow with the Doel fins.

For the price of a new prop and Doel Fins, it will be a different boat.

Just my 2 cents.

Back