Ride of the 21 degree V - Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMARSALA

Reaction score
I currently own a 2003 2520XL with the 16 degree modified v. The boat fishes great but rides like hell. Does the deeper 21 degree V make much of a difference? I think the entry is the problem with the ride. I am considering moving up to the 2820Xl and would like some feedback.
Thanks

I would have sold my 14 degree 2510 because of the ride but I put 9 x24 Bennetts trim tabs on and now the boat runs a lot better. Do a search on the site quite a few owners put them on.

The boat has the factory Lenco tabs - which I have had several issues with. I do not know if other tabs would make too much of a difference. I will definitely test ride the 28 in snotty seas before I make a decision. Any more than a 2 foot chop and you can't run my boat on plane without rattling your fillings loose. I know a guy with A 31 contender who runs 30 kts in a 4-6 ft head sea and he swears it is not uncomfortable. I know he is driving from further back and running a real deep V - but I need to be able to move out when coming back from 30-40 miles off the beach.

The 32 Regulator is a beautiful boat. However, when I fished last weekend it was 21 degrees and snowing when I got to the boat. The temp never got out of the 20s and we fished all morning. Fired up the heater and that cabin was nice and warm. The pit was full of snow and slick as could be. Even with an enclosure you are gonna be cold on a center console. My lottery boat would be a 31' Contender Fisharound with a couple of 350 Yams on the back. I guess every boat has it positives and negatives.

CMARSALA":50k8yof6 said:
The boat has the factory Lenco tabs - which I have had several issues with. I do not know if other tabs would make too much of a difference.

I've read all the posts about the bigger tabs, but I've got to tell you, the stock Lenco's work just fine on our boat (2520xl). FAct is, I have the same complaint about the mod v. It's a killer and even when trimmed out, it still beats me up.

The deep V guys always talk about how much less pounding they take BUT, it' IS a pilothouse, and your helm is further forward than most boats. You are just going to have a rougher ride, Deep V or not.

I've been on a few Parker deep v's and in a small chop, they do ride better. In random 3-4's, they are no different than our mod v ride.[/i]

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy the deep v only because in my area, we get a LOT of days with small chops and I'm not as inclined to go out when seas are 4+.

ScoopsAhoy":2gsw9zhb said:
It's a killer and even when trimmed out, it still beats me up.
In random 3-4's, they are no different than our mod v ride.[/i]

xx

FishFactory":17v9zhur said:
ScoopsAhoy":17v9zhur said:
It's a killer and even when trimmed out, it still beats me up.
In random 3-4's, they are no different than our mod v ride.[/i]

When you say "trimmed out", is that slang for actually having the motor trimmed in somewhat and the tabs down to some degree?

Although all pilot houses ride rougher than their CC cousins, I would think that if a DV CC rode better than a MV CC by a factor of (example) 3, the same would hold true of the pilot houses.

Trimmed "in" would have been a more accurate description of what I meant. :p

While your logic is irrefutable, the "factor" (imho) becomes insignificant as the wave size increases. I would think that holds true for CC's as well as PH's.
:p :p :p

The boat fishes awesome in a beam sea and doesn't roll bad. I have never fished on a Parker Deep V so I have nothing to compare it to. I guess there are trade offs with every boat. Hopefully. we spend more time fishing and less travelling to and from the fishing grounds so the ride is only part of the equation. I fished a buddy's Silverhawk center console and I fell onto the motor box probably 10 times during the day. Of course we were fishing in 6-8 foot seas - like fools. But the boat also took those seas while running without beating us to death. Regarding the factory Lenco tabs - I have had serious problems with them. I am on my 3rd set of tabs due to electrolysis - yes, I have zincs mounted on the tabs. Currently the tabs are inoperable. I do not know if the motor went bad or a switch but I have no power to the tabs. Fortunately they gave out in the retracted position.

If you put some tabs on like these you will think you have a new hull. It will keep the bow down in the biggest chop you can find.... no you won't be doing 30 in 3 to 4 foot chop.

priortohoses.jpg

Wow, those look like they would help. Can you send me the info on them? Only problem is I have the recesses and lenco tabs which means I will have about a dozen holes on each side of the hull. It looks like the rams are mounted in the same position as my current lencos. Please send the particulars - I am interested in making a change.

CMARSALA":disqk8w6 said:
Wow, those look like they would help. Can you send me the info on them? Only problem is I have the recesses and lenco tabs which means I will have about a dozen holes on each side of the hull. It looks like the rams are mounted in the same position as my current lencos. Please send the particulars - I am interested in making a change.

Start Here.... several projects in one thread...

http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... highlight=

I filled in the recesses by fitting starboard inserts in them.... so far everything works just fine. I went with the 30 X 9's but most go with the 24X9's....

For what it is worth, my 2100CC rides better in the chop than the 2520XL I sold last summer. The larger boat was the one with the 16-degree deadrise.

Thanks for the info the pics they look pretty helpful. If you have any pics of the starboard in the old recesses I'd like to see how that came out. I also put additional rod holders in my boat and they came out nice - very simple compared to the tab project. How about the dash mounted switch. Were you able to utilize the hole from the Lenco switch? In addition to my tab problem I also have to replace my helm pump as it is going bad. I have a bunch of pring projects to complete. I don't know about you but I am still in the water and still fishing so these things will have to wait.

I have a DV 2510 and a buddy of mine has the PH 25 Mod V. Ther is some advantage to teh DV in some conditions. But the Huge difference seems to be how far forward the the helm is.

The 25DV does not have a comparble ride to the "true" deep V's, Reg, Black Fin, Contender. It is not a 30kt boat in chop. Heavy Chop (4's) 17-18kts, otherwise 20-25 kts is good.

However the Parker DV 25 IS NOT A ROCKY BOAT at anchor compared to the boats mentioned above. My 2510 DV is extremely good at anchor when it is crappy.

I own a 2820. The ride is fine so long as you ralize its not a 30 knot boat in a chop. if you need speed, it ain't your boat. :D

Back