Rod holder advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Matt

Reaction score
While my boats home and being cleaned I figured I'd add another set of rod holders. I want to add them to use with my outriggers, and Penn International 50 series reels. I realize I need to seal the holes and all and I also realize I need to use backing plates. Can anyone recommend a rod holder they are happy with?

More importantly, how do I determine what degree the rod holoders should be? These rod holders will be mounted closest to the console area, or closest to the bow and they will be used with the lines at the far end of the outriggers.

While I have yet to install them, I got a pair of rod holders from my dealer.....they match the existing with the parker logo and all.

Hey Uncle Matt:
I own a 2520XL and put two additional Parker Rod Holders at the top of the gunnel, two rod holders on Port and two on Starboard sides. I also bought the rod holders from the Parker Dealer and they have the Parker Logo on them. My friend did a great job. I'll be using the rods on planer boards. I also put three adjustable rod holders across the stern. These rod holders I purchased from Boaters World. they are manufactured by Blue Marine. I'll try to post pictures later if that will help you.
:D

Sounds like I'll pick up two from my Parker dealer so everything matches. While there I'll get the epoxy I need and it should be a nice project for this weekend. Thanks for your responses.

Uncle Matt":15ibcsfz said:
More importantly, how do I determine what degree the rod holoders should be?
Do you mean angle of the holder itself or the angle it is turned or oriented from the gunnel? One thing to be aware of, when using rods clipped to outriggahs - safety straps to the rod/reel are MANDATORY! If a fishstrikes and the riggah clip doesn't release or tangles (it happens) that rig will be pulled up and out of the rod holder and will be hanging out over the deep blue sea :shock: !

I believe all my holders use tubes that are tilted 30-degrees from veticle. See sketch below for where they are oriented (see red text) from the gunnels.

Attachments

• RodHolders.gif
    RodHolders.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,553
Oh yeah, see sketch. I lay a long extension drill over a 30-degree block as a guide to cut my PILOT hole. You can TURN the guide block to wahtever angle to the gunnels you need, a pretty slick trick if you ask me.

Then I use a holesaw to cut in the rod holder tube, but I REVERSE the drill bit in the holesaw chuck so the non-cutting end is out and acts like a guide or PILOT.

Good luck ... have fun :) !

Attachments

• RodHolders-DRILL.gif
    RodHolders-DRILL.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,548
Uncle Matt:
I'm going to try and upload pictures of rod holders on 2520Xl. Never uploaded pictures hope it happens.

Attachments

• Rod Holders Modified.JPG
    Rod Holders Modified.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Gunnel Rod Holders.JPG
    Gunnel Rod Holders.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Rod Holders Base Modified.JPG
    Rod Holders Base Modified.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,477

Latest posts

Back