Rode to chain connection

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkerman

Reaction score
So for the last four years my anchor line has been secured to my chain via a bowline. Not too secure or too pretty. It has been years since I did any rope weaving so putting a thimble in myself is almost out of the question. I have no memory of how to do it. Short of buying a new anchor line with a thimble already spliced in at the end (or beginning) what do you all suggest.

Thanks

google directions for splicing three strand line, you be surprise how fast it comes back to you.

A friendly dock mate or a marina worker should be able to splice an eye with a thimble into the line.

done a few myself, much easier to make an eye with a tool called a fid. It's like a long hollowed out needle each end peice of the strand goes in to thread back up through the rope. A fid really makes it easy.

Google- Animated knots by Grog.
Not only can you bone up on your knot tying skills, they have a great animation on the eye splice.
You can speed up or slow down the animation at will.
They even have an app for smart phones.

Until you decide to splice in an eye, while you are Googling knots, look for a figure eight on a bight, one of the "family of eight knots".
It is a much cleaner knot than a bowline, stresses the line less than a bowline, is easy to tie, and can be tied in a number of variations to fit the application.
Check it out!

http://www.ojaisar.org/knots.htm

Latest posts

Back