Rough Ride / Lots Of Water

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rseate

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this past Monday I made a run out to one of my grouper holes with a friend (52 miles out). Seas (2 ft) & winds (6 kts) were calm and the fishing was great. The extended forecast looked great and didn’t call for the winds to pick up until overnight. I made sure to regularly check the weather with my Garmin GMX54. About 4 hours into fishing I noticed that the winds were changing about 20 miles to the North of us. Knowing it should be about a 2 hour run to get back in we rolled it up and started back. 45 minutes into the return the winds changed again and we were now running into 15 knot quartering winds. The 2 ft seas / 9 seconds turned into 4 ft seas / 2-3 seconds. Needless to say we slowed way down and it was a rough ride back. About halfway through the roughest part of the ride I felt like the boat was hitting harder coming off the biggest waves. We finally made it to the dock after running almost 3 hours. When we pulled the boat out on the trailer water started pouring out of the bait-well pick up (had the cock turned off in the bait-well). When I pulled the plug water shot out like a bilge pump was on.
Problem 1: Why in the heck didn’t my bilge pump come on as the boat was taking on water (changing out the bilge pump & float switch today).

Problem 2: The cartridge in the raw water / bait-well pump came out of the housing on the ride back in thus the source of the water.

My question: Has anyone ever had a pump cartridge come out of the housing like this?

Reactions: BAD
Everything on a boat is broken.......you just don't know it yet. ;)

Slamming a boat around for hours on end will reveal the weakest links. In this case it sounds like the raw water pump cartridge retaining screw decided to back out. Glad you made back.

Everything on a boat is broken.......you just don't know it yet. ;)

Slamming a boat around for hours on end will reveal the weakest links. In this case it sounds like the raw water pump cartridge retaining screw decided to back out. Glad you made back.

When I replaced the cartridge I did not see a set screw. It had a spring loaded “catch” that I had to depress before it would re-engage in the housing.

You’re correct about the weakest links. I noticed that one of the vertical supports on the tee top moved around some

Back