Rough Ride

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrikeSix

Reaction score
Folks:

My brother is a NYC Firefighter. They responded to a Parker in distress call today and my brother knew I would be interested in this story. Please see the accompanying photo and read the rest of the story below it:

RoughRider.jpg

My brother advised that the guy towing the ROUGH RIDER, which appears to my eyes to be a circa 1990's 2520 MVSC, said that he hit the brakes and the boat slid off the hitch into his truck causing damage to the truck. Not sure what type of truck he was towing it with. The ROUGH RIDER then slid approximately 40, yes 40 feet down Jewett Avenue on Staten Island before coming to a rest.

When my brother's firehouse responded, the truck driver was already trying to get the boat back on his trailer. My brother was very surprised at the relatively minor damage sustained by the vessel. The firemen deployed air bags to get ROUGH RIDER back on the trailer. If you look at the set up, it appears to be pathetic. I don't trailer my boat, but I see no extra straps or other safeguards. The truck driver was apparently fortunate that the boat did not slam into his truck. My brother did mention "the best part" -- it was not the driver's boat.

It was a rough ride for the ROUGH RIDER, but it appears Parker makes a boat that is as comfortable traveling on New York City streets as it is on the high seas.

Do you think the driver will tell the boat owner what transpired? :shock:

StrikeSix Out.

"Keith FDNY" is going to be bitter you beat him to this one...

Nice trailer.

StrikeSix":2ugm8a2a said:
Do you think the driver will tell the boat owner what transpired? :shock:

Probably not. :shock:

Rough Rider doesn't look like she has led a pampered life, so I doubt that the owner will notice a couple of extra scratches. :)

Kudos to the members of FDNY for helping to get the boat back on her trailer. :wink:

Megabyte - just wanted to let you know that my brother and the other firefighters who responded to the ROUGH RIDER call thank you for your kind words. I know my bro found this to be a unique run and I am sure the others did too.

StrikeSix Out.

StrikeSix... In a lot of jurisdictions, the citizen driving the truck would be left to fend for himself. :(
Sad, but true.

It is good to know that the brothers would take the time, and the use of their air bag skills, to get the boat re-mounted on the trailer, and send him on his way.

They didn't have to do that... but they did.
For that, and for all that they do, I tip my helmet to them. :wink:
I only hope that our younger members learn from this, and similar acts, and continue to carry on the tradition.

Back