Routine fuel pump maintenance?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsw

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone does regular maintenance (replacement or rebuild) to the fuel pumps? I've got the 2004 150 carb 2 stroke, and just wondering what the life of the internals on these pumps might be. I've only got a couple hundred hours on the engine, so running time might is probably not an issue. More concerned about age and the effects of ethanol on the internals. I had no problems this season, so I have no reason the suspect something might be going wrong but would rather not find out one nice day at the dock.

I swap my low pressure fuel pumps out every 2-3 years.
High pressure pump just gets a new filter every year.
I don't think there is much more you can do. It's like most electrical things, could last 1 year, could last 20. Ya just hope for good luck I guess. Mine is a 1999, 700 hours+-.

IMHO no need to do anything than use good fuel and a fuel/water separator on a 2-stroke OB.

However, you should check your lines and hose clamps annually as part of a good pre-season check.

If it's a yamaha 2 stroke with mechanical pumps you have to change them every 2-3 years.
If you don't and they leak, the raw fuel goes into the crankcase and can seize the engine.

At less than $30 each I'd just change them and be safe.

The price of new pumps is less than the parts and labor to rebuild them. Good to have one or two on the shelf. Failure only occurs on weekends, after parts dept is closed, or 200 miles from nearest dealer. :wink: :oops: :wink:

Just kidding, but I have 2 in ziplok bags for when it happens again.

I dunnoh ... I never heard of a 2-stroke with more than 1 combined oil mix/fuel pump and never heard of anyone rebuild one ...

Now, I know large Yam 4-strokes are replete with numerous low and high pressure pumps and enough screens to choke itself out :roll: .

Thanks for the input. Looks like something overdue for my spring startup routine. Yep, it's a Yam 2 strobe with what appears to be mechanical pumps. Not electrical. Looking at the parts diagram of the engine, should be a simple drop in kind of job.

Striperswiper":hvs9tnix said:
If it's a yamaha 2 stroke with mechanical pumps you have to change them every 2-3 years.
If you don't and they leak, the raw fuel goes into the crankcase and can seize the engine.

At less than $30 each I'd just change them and be safe.

Where do you get them for <$30 each?

Back