S1000 Auto pilot install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Kirk

Reaction score
Just bought a Raymarine S1000 auto pilot for our new 2520 SL with a 250 Yamaha. Have been reading and noticed several people are using this model. The boat has a Raymarine E-80.

I am thinking of installing it myself and was hoping someone with a similar rig could post some pictures of an install. Was just trying to get a head start. Was interested just where the pump goes (where you tapped into the hydraulics) and where you mounted the computer.

Thanks

Kirk

I installed the S1000 on my new 2320 last winter. My boat has the small helm console found on the newer Parkers.

The installation was actually very easy and the pilot has worked perfectly. I am amazed at what a good value it has turned out to be so far.

I installed the pump on the starboard wall inside the helm console.
I installed the computer on port side wall inside the helm console.
I did not use the supplied emergency cut off switch, but instead purchased a marine toggle switch to serve as my emergency cut off. I installed the cutoff switch at the lower edge of the console on the port side beneath the steering wheel. I wired in an LED that is illuminate when power is being fed to the autopilot- just to remind me that it is on.

You tap into the hydraulics inside the helm console at the steering wheel assembly. The instructions are quite good and everything proceeded exactly as the instructions said. All supplied hardware fit and I did not need to do any special adaptation. I would suggest that you plan the hose route from pump to helm carefully before you make any permanent attachments. You want to avoid any kinking in the hoses.

I interfaced the computer with a Garmin gps. I did not cut the S100 computer data cable. Instead I puchased a computer cable with a compatible connector (I think this is a DB9 connector but I don't remember for sure). I cut the purchased cable and connected the apporpriate data wires to my gps data output. Your connections will depend upon the data out connector on your gps.

Good luck

I just bought a S1000 Raymarine Autopilot for my 2510Xl and I have a Lowrance LCX 104C which has the blue NMEA Data line connected to my VHF Radio for the Lat/Long data to be transmitted. My question is can you connected two (2) receivers of the data to the same data output line of the GPS, i.e. can I connect the Autopilot computer to the same wire as the VHF Radio? Help is needed. :cry:

Joshdad,

That was as good as a picture. Basically I needed to get an idea of where the hydraulics were to be tapped into and that answers my question quite clearly.

We are getting our tower installed this morning so I will be with the boat and be able to try to map it out.

My partner wants to have someone install it, but it just not seem like it is that difficult of a chore.

Can't wait for the tower today! Just another item off the checklist before it goes off here.

Thanks again,

Kirk

I am going to be installing it in the next week or so. From what I have researched so far it seems to be very simple.

I am a bit weak on the electrical, but after looking into it I think it should be very easy.

Also, I have called the Raymarine support number and those guys will walk you through any step you need help with.

Kirk

i installed one on my 23 se, don't know how i lived without it. it steers the boat better than me. one WARNING, do not install the hydraulic pump near the s1000 computer, causes a problem with computer. this is not in the manual, i called tech support. i have big console and installed the pump on the inside port wall and the computer on the forward wall starboard side. also i used on hard rubber mat, under the pump to reduce the vibration.

So John, just how close is too close?

As I can remember it, I think I plan on installing them about 30" apart.

And thanks for the advice on the rubber mat under the pump. So how big of a mat is it. Was it just mounted under the two mounting brackets?

Kirk

I don't know how close "too close" is but in my installation where the computer is on one side wall of the console and the pump is on the other side wall, the system works fine. (I have a new Parker 2320 with the small helm console). If you take your time with the installation and make all your connections tight without strain on your hoses or wires you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back