Saftey locking a Morse twin lever binnacle control box

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailwhip4guy

Reaction score
I hoping someone can help me with the Morse (Teleflex) twin lever binnacle on my 2007 2320. I recently purchased this boat from the origional owner and it has two Morse controls, one at the pilot helm and one at the cockpit helm, straight from Parker or from the origional Parker dealer.

While I love the classic look and function of the Morse control, it is an extremely dangerous unit for a direct drive outboard. As far as I can tell, there is no saftey lock to prevent one from unknowingly shifting the motor into gear at excessive (above idle) rpms. Therefore, in an around the dock, trailer or kelp patty situation, one could easily and pull the transmission out of gear without first dropping the throttle then unknowingly reengage the transmission at an elevated rpm (anything above idle is too much). I know because I am "one" who has done this by accident and luckily I only blew up the Solex rubber/aluminum spline hub on my prop and not the lower unit on my Yamaha 250.

Does Morse (Teleflex) make a saftey mod kit for this unit or has anyone out there modified the Morse control box with a throttle/transmission saftey lever of some type.

Let me know. Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of.

What you have there is the cheap way to have dual stations..

When your use to the single binnacle....It takes some getting use to for your setup.

When docking I set rpm's about 800 from this point on you DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE only the gears. It is that simple and you will not have a problem. Remember when docking neutral
is your friend !
" Bean "

Yea But ...When you have a 2520 or 2530....It takes some throttle to get the boat to move when docking.

They are heavy and have a lot of sail area. Especially with a breeze blowing.

You could switch from the Morse to Kobelt and have both functions with one lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back