Scuba tank storage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwwes

Reaction score
I have a 2510 WA that I use for offshore fishing and some diving. Since it is a dual purpose boat I have never really wanted permanently mounted tank racks. Most of my dives are just me and one other diver so we carry 6 steel tanks in a Pelican 6-tank rack. I recently carried 4 divers for a total of 12 tanks in 2 pelican racks. The safest place to transport the racks was against the transom bulkhead with racket straps securing the tanks to the aft cleats. So now I've added an extra 400+ lbs to my transom and my scuppers are below the waterline. I obviously need to distribute some of that weight next time I go and am looking for ideas on how to secure the tanks along the gunnel. I have seen the roll control holders on other boats but I'm not sure if that will work since I have combing pads (and this old bottom fisherman ain't getting rid of his combing pads). If anyone could comment of post pictures of your setups I would greatly appreciate your input.

I have a 2520 and use the roll control system. Unfortunately I dont have any pictures... I mounted the rails along the gunnels, starting 6 inches from the pilothouse, running 4' to the rear. Each side holds four tanks and very secure. Weight balance is also very good. I am very happy with this setup and have had it for ten years.

I am not sure how to do this with pads installed, unless you remove pads when diving and secure the rail with some wing nuts for those days.

Pads still in place
I just had small legs welded on the racks to drop them down a little
Bolted up the racks and put on the pads
I use HP steel 100s

Attachments

• SEADECK.jpg
    SEADECK.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 460
We usually carry 8 aluminum 80's on my 2520MV. Four in a pelican rack inside the cabin behind the helm seat against the bulkhead, and four (two under each gunnel) under the gunnels horizontally in "scubatubes" that I made out of 8" PVC.

I sliced the PVC in half lengthwise, two SS hinges, some latch hardware and mounted the bottom half in Oak saddles. Under gunnel mounts keeps decks clear, and allows toe-space under the tanks.

open.jpg

closed.jpg

cbigma":3jg4izwd said:
... under the gunnels horizontally in "scubatubes" that I made out of 8" PVC.
... but when those 'tubes' are empty and knucklehead boaters are zooming about, John places them up on top of his gunwhales to mimic torpedo tubes! I know ... I've seen 'em!

Thanks to all for the awesome feedback. Very innovative solutions. A couple of questions about the roll control. Will it accommodate the large diameter 130's? I had some new divers on my boat who showed up with 130's and found out that they would not fit in my Pelican racks. Also, will the RC brackets themselves hold the tanks secure or do you use bungees as extra measure?

DaleH":1v5t8p9x said:
cbigma":1v5t8p9x said:
... under the gunnels horizontally in "scubatubes" that I made out of 8" PVC.
... but when those 'tubes' are empty and knucklehead boaters are zooming about, John places them up on top of his gunwhales to mimic torpedo tubes! I know ... I've seen 'em!

Works every time! :wink: :wink:

The REAL benefit to storing tanks horizontally is that they are out of sight. Not having a half-dozen tanks peeking up over the gunnels has significantly reduced our frequency of boarding by Environmental Police, Shellfish Constables, and others looking to check our catch. 8) Once our flag is down, you'd never know we had just spent the day diving.

cbigma":20bthazc said:
The REAL benefit to storing tanks horizontally is that they are out of sight. Not having a half-dozen tanks peeking up over the gunnels has significantly reduced our frequency of boarding by Environmental Police, Shellfish Constables, and others looking to check our catch.
Interesting! I had a somewhat similar experience as when fishing and if there was any fleet around, I always was boarded, even if the next day or next week. Finally fed up at having my fishing time interrupted, I finally asked "Why me? All the freakin time?!?" Only to learn that they thought I had the prettiest and best equipped vessel in the fleet, plus they wanted to check out my boat!

I finally had her certified to USCG comm vessels-for-hire comm, with the requisite 4"x6" USCG certification decal placed in the rear starboard window (even though I don't fish here commercially) ... and I haven't had one boarding since! ;)

wwwes":3pbvj1x0 said:
Thanks to all for the awesome feedback. Very innovative solutions. A couple of questions about the roll control. Will it accommodate the large diameter 130's? I had some new divers on my boat who showed up with 130's and found out that they would not fit in my Pelican racks. Also, will the RC brackets themselves hold the tanks secure or do you use bungees as extra measure?

Yup they are fully adjustable

Sully":2ved35wp said:
wwwes":2ved35wp said:

Yup they are fully adjustable

Thanks Sully. I may borrow your idea. I should have thought of that myself considering I manage a fabrication shop. Will post some pics when I get done

Back