Sealing rubbers dry - basically everywhere

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello captains, a new member here trying to kickoff my first project on my 2021 2520 XLD.

I received my boat from the previous owner who must have kept it in very dry/hot conditions. As a result, almost EVERY rubber in the boat (access panels, storage, livewell and even some of the windows) is dry or peeling off.
I was hoping to find a "rubber sealing kit" (i made it up) from Parker, but it doesn't look like my local dealer can easily get it.
Am I thinking about it correctly? is there a second market for it? Maybe I'm providing the right info?

Greatly appreciate any help.

Hello captains, a new member here trying to kickoff my first project on my 2021 2520 XLD.

I received my boat from the previous owner who must have kept it in very dry/hot conditions. As a result, almost EVERY rubber in the boat (access panels, storage, livewell and even some of the windows) is dry or peeling off.
I was hoping to find a "rubber sealing kit" (i made it up) from Parker, but it doesn't look like my local dealer can easily get it.
Am I thinking about it correctly? is there a second market for it? Maybe I'm providing the right info?

Greatly appreciate any help.
Hi 3986, Welcome to CP! (are you Borg?... just kidding)..... I'm not sure I understand the issue you're experiencing on a nearly new boat. If the rubber parts need 'rejuvenating' then I'd recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's a non-solvent based product that renews, moisturizes and protects rubber and plastic parts. (It's like Armor-All on steroids). I've been using it for decades and it works well; I apply it to all rubber and plastic on our boats (and trucks, bikes, cars and golf carts) about twice a year. The rubber parts on our 9 year old Parker look like new.... I buy it by the gallon; the gallon usually lasts me 4-5 years and it by far the most economical way to buy it.

Andy, I'm definitely going to give it a try! Would it work for a really dry/cracked rubber? Also, some of my rubbers (not all) lost the bottom glue, is there a product for that as well? :)

Andy, I'm definitely going to give it a try! Would it work for a really dry/cracked rubber? Also, some of my rubbers (not all) lost the bottom glue, is there a product for that as well? :)
It would help to see some pictures of the rubber you're talking about. I've never seen badly dry/cracked rubber on such a new boat as yours. Are you referring to the rubber on the aluminum windows?.... The 303 will help to restore rubber/plastics, but it won't fill in cracks.... As for adhesives, most 'standard' adhesives won't do much sticking rubber to other smooth surfaces; except, I have had some luck with the black rubbery adhesive that's used to seal automobile windshields, but it depends on what you're trying to adhere the rubber to. Aluminum windows? Fiberglass?

I mainly try to glue the rubber to the fiberglass (stern storage, battery access panel) - but also some of the windows rubber is popping out of the frame. I get your point re pictures and will definitely provide a few this weekend, as soon as I'm at the marina

Thanks again!

I mainly try to glue the rubber to the fiberglass (stern storage, battery access panel) - but also some of the windows rubber is popping out of the frame. I get your point re pictures and will definitely provide a few this weekend, as soon as I'm at the marina

Thanks again!
If you're referring to the rubber corners (exterior, aft-upper-corners) of the Taylor-Made side windows falling out, ours and countless others have/had the same problem. In fact, it's a Taylor-Made window problem that Taylor-Made choses to ignore. When I contacted them for a solution, they in fact refused to even admit that the windows are theirs! So I sent them pictures of their logo etched into the glass; they still refused to admit they were their windows! How's that for customer service?! I made a Youtube video on a quick and inexpensive way to fix that issue. By the way, a variety of adhesives did not work. I'll wait to see your pictures, and if it's the same issue we had, I'll post the video link for you.

Sounds like he's describing that a number of his hatch gaskets, o-rings, weatherstrip etc, are cracked, dried out and distorted. Can't imagine a scenario where a 2021 vessel has such a condition due to natural causes, UV, exposure, weathering etc. Maybe the previous owner did an aggressive cleanup and swabbed it down with a solvent or some kind of harsh solution that denatured the gaskets..... we'll see what his photos reveal.....interesting situation.

I respect everyone’s time and support and (as said) definitely going to upload few pics as soon as I’m at the boat.

I’m from the north east and weather don’t always permits a trip to the marina.

Talk soon!

Hello again! Sorry for the (somewhat) slow response it was really bad weather up in the northeast and I just didnt have access to the boat.

here are few pictures showing various issues related to rubber/sealers:
1. Battery access panel - the bottom part is dry and looks like salt is accumulating on it
2. The storage rubber is all over the place (how did it end up like that?) - i'm thinking maybe it is not the original rubber?
3. finally, the windows sealers, while in good share, popping out of their frame.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

IMG_4273.jpegIMG_4270.jpegIMG_4271.jpegIMG_4274.jpegIMG_4272.jpeg

Hello again! Sorry for the (somewhat) slow response it was really bad weather up in the northeast and I just didnt have access to the boat.

here are few pictures showing various issues related to rubber/sealers:
1. Battery access panel - the bottom part is dry and looks like salt is accumulating on it
2. The storage rubber is all over the place (how did it end up like that?) - i'm thinking maybe it is not the original rubber?
3. finally, the windows sealers, while in good share, popping out of their frame.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 36551View attachment 36552View attachment 36553View attachment 36554View attachment 36555
I mentioned earlier that I can help with the window corner rubber issue. I'll 'edit' this, and link a video to this reply. I had tried many adhesives and such, and none of them worked. What worked was using the proper-thickness and stiffness, black fuel-line rubber hose. Cutting it to the proper, exact length (both were less than 2 inches I believe), and required slightly different lengths for the port and starboard sides).... It was a simple matter of pushing the part of the trim that had fallen out, tightly back in place, and then tightly jamming the rubber fuel line 'forward' of the piece that had fallen out. The fuel line is jammed between the end of the piece that's fallen, and with the other, original black rubber that's still in the window. Taylor-made could solve this entire issue by using slightly longer black rubber moldings. I guess their 'bean-counters' have determined that by NOT doing that, they might be saving a few cents per window.....
Here's the fix; See below for the 'before-the-fix'. And here will be the link to the video of 'the fix'....

1683147166242.png

Here is what mine look like. Before the fix. (And video #1. #2 will follow).

1683146613554.png

Last edited:
Back