Second Station for 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MayoChad

Reaction score
Howdy, Fellas,

I'm a new ClassicParker member and this is my first post. I've really enjoyed reading all of the insight y'all put up. This a great thing you have going.

Looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on a new-to-me 2003 2520 xl. It's got everything I want except a second steering station on the deck. Is this something I can add later if it turns out I really want to? If so, can anyone comment on how big of a job that is, whether it's worth it, and roughtly how much that all costs?

Also, guys that have a second station, do you use it?

Thanks,

Chad

MayoChad":q0jv6hj6 said:
Looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on a new-to-me 2003 2520 xl. It's got everything I want except a second steering station on the deck. Is this something I can add later if it turns out I really want to? If so, can anyone comment on how big of a job that is, whether it's worth it, and roughtly how much that all costs?

Also, guys that have a second station, do you use it?

Welcome aboard Chad!

To answer your questions... yes, a second station can be added later.
When I bought my boat, it didn't have one and I added mine after 2 years of ownership without one.

Prices may have changed since I did my job, but I was quoted about $3k for all new factory parts (installed) about 4 years ago. I paid about $1,100 (installed) by sourcing many of the parts myself.
In my case, I found a rear station being sold online that had been removed from a 25 C-Hawk in Florida. I had to buy new Morse controls and cables, but the SeaStar steering that came on the C-Hawk part worked beautifully.

Image-B8C19720290511DC.jpg

Image-C091835C0FE011DC.jpg

One advantage to putting the rear station in later was that I could select right where I wanted the part mounted on the deck.
Notice that mine is moved aft of where the factory places them, which is right where I wanted it.

Another advantage of doing the job later is that you have your choice of where to place the controls. Parker places the steering on top of the fiberglass part while C-Hawk places the motor controls there. Decide which setup you like best and it can be done during the install. Being right handed, I find the setup you see above to be very natural.

Now that I have it, I use my rear station all the time. It allows me to stay close to the steering when trolling (I don't have an AP), and it allows me to keep the boat off the rocks at the ESRP and WSRP when jigging.
The rear station also aids me when docking and puts me right there where the deck lines are.

I don't know how I did without the convenience of a rear station for the first 2 years I owned the boat.

I was quoted 5,000 plus here in So Cal for mine last month, made me change my mind :(

Just mount the wheel and controlls in the washboards. I have no problems with mine that way.

Attachments

• t7.JPG
    t7.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,413
  • newjudge_007.JPG
    newjudge_007.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,410
Greg is right. Putting the controls on the washboards would eliminate a portion of the cost by eliminating the fiberglass part. I just wasn't ready to go that route.

I did contact a couple of local builders and found that almost all of them could either fabricate a fiberglass part to my specifications, or they could sell me a standard blank that they use on their own boats, so that is always an option. Plus... if you have fiberglass skillz... you could make your own! :)

I saw this design at the Annapolis Boat Show this year which I thought was a cool option. It gets the job done and leaves the deck a little more open.

DSCN0077.JPG

Lots of options out there... 8)

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. That's what makes ClassicParker so great . . . smart folks willing to spend some time sharing their hard-earned expertise.

I'm giddy as a school girl because I bought that boat this morning! Rick from Ducky's Boats near Harrisburg, PA was straight to deal with and is going to deliver the boat to me here in Mayo, MD tomorrow morning. Don't know how I'm gonna sleep tonight. As Capt. Kevin would say, I'm sure I'll be aided by a few "ponder beers" in celbration.

I'll post pics and more details when it arrives. But for now, I'm way excited about my '03 2520 xl with a smooth running Yamaha 225 four stroke.

You can bet I'm gonna test her out tomorrow afternoon - might even see if that boat has any luck with rockfish. If it doesn't, no doubt, it will be the skipper to blame, not the boat.

Chad

Congratulations Chad!
Take a few pictures and post them up so we can all celebrate your new ride. :wink:

I have been well served with 'ponder beers' over the years while just sitting on my boat and thinking about my next project... even if it is something that I cannot afford. :)

Welcome aboard and congratulations again. 8)

I had a 2520XL with the second station. The boat got destroyed. I got a new 2520XL and decided that I hardly ever used the second station since my gps/sonar was up in the pilot house. I think I used the station two or three times for the 3 years I had the boat until it was destroyed. However, I can see where some people would use it and like it.

You are the opposite of me. I dont know what I did without it. I use it constantly. While trolling I am able to correct the boat so my lines dont get tangled. This is especially great when we have a fish on and we are trying to boat fish. I find myself sitting in the gunwale watching lines while trolling when it is warm. It was also great for fishing around the bay bridge as I didnt have to keep running back and forth to the helm.

I have an open back pilothouse with big windows on the drop curtain and a 10.5" color screen for my fishfinder/chartplotter that I can see from the cockpit station so that is a non issue.

heres my take on the issue. if youre going to be fishing alone, or docking in difficult sitautions with a completly green crew, get the station, as it will allow you to get to the docklines from the cockpit and to manuever the boat from the cockpit, giving you a bit more perspective on the situation as its unfolding. however, if you plan to sail with a crew of any experience level, a second station is really not that essential and can actually be a detriment. thinking about my particular vessel, the equipment that accompanies me on a typical offshore run, and the proceedures we have in place, a second station, especially on the stbd side of the boat, would get in the way so often it would be unbearable. first, it uses up some more cockpit space that is already at a premium on these trips, with 2 large coolers, taclke boxes, buckets, and what not. secondly, it limits immediate access to severl stbd rodholders, which is unacceptable. thirdly, we do all our wiring and gaffing on the stbd side. this station would be totally in the way, and more than likely end up getting bashed up by a fish coming over the gunnel or on the deck of the boat.
for a little more than the price being discussed here, you can get an autopilot unit with a remote control that can be used from the cockpit. not only does this satisfy most of the functions of a second station, except for docking, its other functions will most likely be of more use to you overall than the second station. all that said, there must be some reason why everyone loves their second stations, so if you find that you need one, by all means go for it. this is just some stuff to think about before you pull the trigger.

The second station (in my case, on the back of the pilothouse) has turned out to be the best option I put on my boat. and I don't even fish. Extremely valuable for docking or side-tow operations. If I recall correctly, Parker includes engine start and stop pushbuttons on the second station which are very handy (added them myself on my boat after seeing them on my buddy's 2520XL).

Overcurrent":1n1xd8or said:
The second station (in my case, on the back of the pilothouse) has turned out to be the best option I put on my boat ...
I agree 100%! I LOVE mine and being up on the cabin bulkhead - I don't find it in the way at all. Nothing to trip over one bit.

Where mine is positioned it doesn't block access to the starboard gunnel or to any rod holders. I toona fish and also net/gaff/release them on the starboard side and the bulkhead is not only NOT in the way ... I think it helps! As I can run the whole boat from there ...

DaleH":9spe7hmj said:
Overcurrent":9spe7hmj said:
The second station (in my case, on the back of the pilothouse) has turned out to be the best option I put on my boat ...
I agree 100%! I LOVE mine and being up on the cabin bulkhead - I don't find it in the way at all. Nothing to trip over one bit.

Where mine is positioned it doesn't block access to the starboard gunnel or to any rod holders. I toona fish and also net/gaff/release them on the starboard side and the bulkhead is not only NOT in the way ... I think it helps! As I can run the whole boat from there ...

thinking about it, i can see how the bulkhead mount might eliminate some of the problems that i listed. however, as i was thinking from my perspective, thats not an option with the open-back house that i have :( anyway, i think id still go for the remote autopilot at any rate. :wink:

pelagic2530":23ael0xd said:
Parkerman":23ael0xd said:
Are cute red heads an option with a second station? :D :shock:

im not sure what you mean, but i like your line of thinking!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
See 'redhead' in photo a few posts up from here ...

DaleH":arlbmpnn said:
pelagic2530":arlbmpnn said:
Parkerman":arlbmpnn said:
Are cute red heads an option with a second station? :D :shock:

im not sure what you mean, but i like your line of thinking!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
See 'redhead' in photo a few posts up from here ...

ah.. hahahaha must have missed that the first time through :lol: thank you, Dale :wink:

I just installed my second station and have not even used it yet. I was lucky that I found a Parker dealer that had a bulkhead station that was new but needed a little fiberglass work. I was able to do it myself and still the cost was about $3000.00, I think. I am 63 years old and was able to install it myself, I have arthritis and have my share of aches and pains, so if I can do it anyone can. I wish you luck!

Attachments

• SANY0073 (Small).JPG
    SANY0073 (Small).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,130
Nice install! Looks just like it came from the factory. I'll bet your itching to try it out.

One way or another, this is going to make a nice winter project on my rig. You fellas have me convinced that I'm gonna really want a second station

MayoChad":2govcowo said:
One way or another, this is going to make a nice winter project on my rig. You fellas have me convinced that I'm gonna really want a second station

If you like to fish the rocks at TPL, you will see just how useful it is your first time out. :wink:

Back