serious drain plug thought

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passingwindII

Reaction score
Has anyone put the drain plug in in reverse. meaning,being able to unscrew it from the bilge... or a continuous (sp) thread so you can go either way???..... Thought being I have my boat in a wet slip with lift...
so i'd be able to drain bildge while lifted out of water

I'm not sure the plug could be inserted from the inside, so someone would have to test the possibility. I'll be rigging/loading my boat on Sat for an upcoming CBBT trip. If I remember, I'll try.

Remember the plug is tapered, so you couldn't replace it with a threaded bar with square ends on both ends (for inserting/removing from either end).

I have a rubber expandable plug hanging on a string in the bilge, so if I ever forgot to install the brass plug before launching (remember I store on a trailer), I could in an emergency plug the hole from the bilge side of the transom.

Bottom line is that as long as you either put OMC Triple Guard grease or teflon tape on the threads before inserting the plug before placing the boat in a slip for the season, you shouldn't have trouble removing in when pulling the boat in the fall.

I believe it to be a National Pipe Thread or NPT thread form which means it TAPERS gradually from larger to smaller threads as one screww in the plug from the stern. Looking at the plug, or by measuring it, you will see the bottom threads are smaller than those at the top.

Ceck this post out from Classic Seacraft member Capt. Chuck

http://www.classicseacraft.com/foru...pe=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post27139

bilgedrainplug1.jpg

This is a photo of the drain in my Steiger.
The reason for installing this way was one less penetration in the transom.
Bear in mind that this photo was taken before I had Steiger change out that cheap, worthless bilge pump hose.
Tom

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 752
1-Parker installs their drains in transom, BELOW the wood reinforcement, in solid fiberglass.

2-In the event of a transom drain plug failing, won't leak while boat is on plane. Not so with a hole in bottom.

3-The flange of a thru bottom drain plug only adds resistance and disturbs water under hull.

What would be the advantage of mounting a drain in bottom of hull?

FishFactory":kg8q487p said:
What would be the advantage of mounting a drain in bottom of hull?

I could certainly see the value if your boat was kept on a lift.

Fish Factory,
1- Why would a transom drain plug that was installed correctly fail?
2- I take it that your boat does not have any thru hulls on the bottom?

I was just merely passing along options other than a garboard transom plug. I personally prefer the thru hull main drain. To each his own.

Tom

Back