Shrink Wrap Nightmare

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megmac

Reaction score
As a business man if you do a bad job you admit to it and make it good. My story is just the opposite. I found this 'professional" on Face book Marketplace, maybe my first mistake. Anyway the ad had quotes like” Don’t settle for anything but the Best", "20 years experience", you can read attached. I'll try to keep the story as brief as possible but after a few weeks of trying to get this guy to show up a few of his workers did. It was well after dark. I asked if the darkness would be a bother and was told not to worry, they do plenty in the dark. The job was done and the next day we received 1-1/2" of rain followed by a freeze. It cleared and I was able to look at the job. What I found was three large openings, two that faced upwards to the sky so any rain that would fall would funnel to the outboard. I took photos and contacted the "professional" and was told He would check into it and get back, I sent along photos and my concern that water has drained to the lower unit, which is sealed. I told him I was concerned of a frozen lower unit. A few days passed and finally I had to write again. He said he was busy the upcoming weekend and I had nothing to worry about, "it's only aesthetics". Now I getting a bit aggravated but the lack of response and being told this, aesthetics really?. More days pass and all I can imagine is a bunch of water collected around the lower unit. I decide I’m not going to wait longer and decide to cut the wrap at the lower unit. Sure enough water comes pouring out. Once again I send photos and videos. Days pass till I send another message then he finally responds in a rude tune saying things like "nothing will please you so I’m not going to come repair", "cut the whole damm thing off and Ill give you your $250 back". I write one final replay, telling him” Do you honestly believe you did a good job?” No pleasing me? Maybe if there were not three large gaps, water collecting around a 20K outboard and paying $250 for this job Id be pleased. I asked him to never contact me and learned a lesson. Hope nobody else gets sucked in by this guy, Im refraining from disclosing name till I take action.

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 325
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 326
  • image0.png
    image0.png
    201 KB · Views: 326
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 325
I would take my own ad out in FB Marketplace with your pix's.........BUT I have another question.

It appears in your pix , that your outboard is tilted. Not a good idea.....It should be straight up & down. Water can be held in the cup area where the prop is and freeze.

Really can't tell with the way the pix is.

Hi warthog5, no its not straight up and down. It was recommended to sit on the chocks you use when you trailer the boat. It will be tough to get to move it now but if I can't could I put something like a plastic bottle cut to fit around it? Any other suggestion or do what I need to do to drop it? Thanks

PS: Nice job huh!

Well I do Not understand that recommendation to sit on chocks at ALL. :( It has no merit to me.....The thing was designed to sit on the rams..... A frozen..... Cracked foot will get your pocketbooks attention. There is no warranty on that.

megmac":32mdortp said:
Hi warthog5, no its not straight up and down. It was recommended to sit on the chocks you use when you trailer the boat. It will be tough to get to move it now but if I can't could I put something like a plastic bottle cut to fit around it? Any other suggestion or do what I need to do to drop it? Thanks

PS: Nice job huh!
Tilt when transporting on the trailer but never over the winter in RI. Tilt it down(best) or cover well and watertight. Sloppy shrink wrap job will be the least of your problems if water freezes in there and cracks lower unit. Be happy someone caught it in time.

Back