Side railing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilowatts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new to me 2120 has finally arrived. I love this boat and haven't even had it in The water yet! Ordered the cooler slide and new cooler, replaced the batteries, mounted the GPS/finder, removed all non stock wiring to reinstall in a more professional route, measured for coaming pads. Not bad since it just got here yesterday and I had to go to work this morning.

Any how enough with that, my wife would like me to install some side rails for safety with the kiddos. I'm thinking about 6" tall( my wife wants 8 to 10", but i think thats way over kill) and run about 2/3 of the length of the side or two seperate ones on each side, I don't want it to interfere with the rods holders. I really like the bow rail thickness and have search for an hour online and haven't found sh*t!

Looking for advise and options cause for the short time I've been on this site I know someone has a way solve my dilemma! Hopefully this makes sense after a 6 pack, maybe I'll sleep on the boat!

Well...They will make it safer.....sorta.As you said....In the way for rods. Plus......In the way for boarding and leaving the boat. In the way for walking around the washboard.

Supervise the kids.

We had 3&4yr old....2 of my Granddaughters on last year.....The youngest says....."Wanna Go on big boat Grandad." She doesn't like the Flounder boat. 1860 SeaArk Custom.

The youngest sits on the step at the back of the Pilothouse bulkhead.....That's her seat.

I'm with Bobby, you can't control what boat your children may ever go on, but you can 'control' how your kids behave on your boat, on any boat, and around the water. As a youth, the old axiom of "One hand for yourself and one hand for the boat" ... was drilled into the heads of my 3 brothers and I by our parents.

I am surprised, stunned really .. even to today, when I'm on or around others boats and see kids, even adults, walking up narrow walk-arounds or other difficult areas, in seas or winds or with wet decks, with both hands loaded with goodies, radio, phones, drinks and other ... but with no free hand to ensure a safe passage.

When kids go forward on my boat bow deck or into the tower, the 1st one goes alone with nothing in hand, then the others pass needed items up to them, before the others join them in the desired spot. I tell you, if you can teach and instill a safety conscious awareness into them now - you'll do them good forever!

That said Captain, if the Mrs - who is the Admiral and therefore outranks you - is indeed insistent on rails, I'd make them temporary. How about using slide-apart hinges like below. Make the rails flip down against the inside of the gunnels when not in use and then swing up and tilt out a tad for some protection when the kids are aboard? The slide-apart feature could allow them to be taken off and stored in the cabin or removed once the kids are older.

yhst-17525248830734_2271_4031425

Another option is not a side rail to keep them in, but tow rails to prevent them from spilling out! See below, I added these on my own boat as I fish offshore for tuna in seas and fish heavy rips for striped bass. Ensuring your toe is under the rail gives one super footing for staying upright and aboard!

toe_rails_small_121.jpg

Other ideas are a bench seat across the stern where the kids must sit while underway. Or even cheap $20 back-to-school bean bag chairs will last you a season or 2, provided they have a plasticized covering.

Latest posts

Back