Simrad Compass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charvet

Reaction score
Hi all. I run a Simrad NSS EVO3. I recently had autopilot installed. The system works great except for compass errors. The precision 9 compass came with my kit and I've mounted it in several different locations throughout the boat and made adjustments, but can't solve the issue of interference (metal sources, magnets that effect it) and going way off course. I've tried everything I can think of plus Simrad customer service. It will work decent in completely flat seas, but the majority of my ocean boating is not in those conditions. I've been told the HS60 was the way to go, but now it seems the HS60 is no longer available by Simrad. Any advice on what compass I should go with? I spent 5 hours on for Simrad customer service today and they told me to go with this model, but I"m not feeling too confident in their customer service these days. I know price doesn't always make things better but the Precision 9 Compass is supposed to be a superior compass to this model.

https://wateryachtsolutions.com/lowrance-point-1ap-gps-module-000-12930-002/
Thanks!

Hi all. I run a Simrad NSS EVO3. I recently had autopilot installed. The system works great except for compass errors. The precision 9 compass came with my kit and I've mounted it in several different locations throughout the boat and made adjustments, but can't solve the issue of interference (metal sources, magnets that effect it) and going way off course. I've tried everything I can think of plus Simrad customer service. It will work decent in completely flat seas, but the majority of my ocean boating is not in those conditions. I've been told the HS60 was the way to go, but now it seems the HS60 is no longer available by Simrad. Any advice on what compass I should go with? I spent 5 hours on for Simrad customer service today and they told me to go with this model, but I"m not feeling too confident in their customer service these days. I know price doesn't always make things better but the Precision 9 Compass is supposed to be a superior compass to this model.

https://wateryachtsolutions.com/lowrance-point-1ap-gps-module-000-12930-002/
Thanks!
I’m astounded that they told you to go with the Point-1 as it will not work with the autopilot. It doesn’t have the precision needed for the AP to function.

What is the AP doing that you suspect that the compass is not functioning properly? If it runs in smooth water but not rough water, it’s likely an issue within the rudder/counter rudder settings, as rough water vs. calm shouldn’t have any significant effect on the compass. How is the system failing?

Yes, either Simrad customer service has gone downhill, or I had a rare terrible experience. The 4hr 50 minute wait to speak someone was frustrating to begin with.

I don't believe there is an issue with the Precision 9, but its very tough to find a spot in the Parker cabin where it isn't effected by electronics, magnets, metal etc.. I had an interference of 36% which is not acceptable.

I ended up getting a Satellite compass, the Garmin GSC-10. I then re calbriated the dockside commissioning and kept hitting no when asked if the motor turns until I saw a defined movement in the motor which then increased the voltage sent. After getting much better results, but still not acceptable in my opinion I changed the steering response to 5. I know am happy with the Autopilot. I have the NAC-1 and I don't belive I have rudder gain as a setting. If I"m wrong please advise as I may need to use that in the future. The NAC-2 and NAC-3 units have many more settings.

Back