Skates

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andertonm

Reaction score
Went out to the CBBT last weekend with boat partner in hopes of catching some flounder. Put the rigs down and they were being hammered by something... Skates all over the surface and we soon figured out that they were the ones pestering our rigs. Boat partner hooked a good size one, but I had lost interest and wasn't paying much attention when he boated it. Next thing I know he's hollering and the skate is slamming all over the stern. Turned out he got his index finger too close and Mr. Skate latched on. When he calmed down and wiped away the blood, my buddy was very impressed with the strength and tenacity of the little beggar - said he was pretty sure it went down to the bone.

Never done this myself... but a buddy that I fish with has the skate/cow nosed ray deal down.
He brings it to the boat, then puts his fingers in the eye sockets and thumb underneath to control the fish.
I've seen it, and it does work. Mister skate swims away none the worse from the experience.

Amazed me...

Brings back fine memories of last summer....

fluking off the rips in MTK on the norths side and the tide was heading to slack.....

We have a "SUPER" hunter rambo buddy who comes down from upstate NY, hence the nick name "upstate ritchie"

This dude can killl and gut a deer like no other..... any way we started pulling up a few skates in the mix, then "upstate" pulls up a monster skate

and wants his rig back so he is reaching to twist out the hook and WHAM !@# BAM !!!

it took two of us to grab the monster and it finally let go .....Rich's thumb was bloody and looked like a baby had sucked on it for a month straight....

Ouch !!!! after we laughed for hours.......

Back