Sold my 1801...need a new ride. Jones?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pescadorrr

Reaction score
Hey there. Just sold my beloved 2005 Parker 1801. I live in SoCal and I’m a spearo. Took my boat 80 miles offshore in the Pacific and deep into the Sea of Cortez, Baja. Boat had a F115 and lencos. She was very, very seaworthy and had an excellent ride. She rarely came down and slammed. Sometimes I got a little wet but she had a very soft ride. I tried out a 21se Parker and was shocked to discover that the ride was in my opinion terrible compared to that of my 1801. We tested her in lumpy but not rough conditions. The water just had some boat wakes but no swell and no white caps. I feel like my 1801 would have handled the seas perfectly. The 21se slammed! The bow jumped easily and came down and sent shock waves through my spine.
As much as I loved my Parker, I need a boat that handles chop and following seas with long period (8-12 seconds at 4-6 ft) steep swells like a pro. I would say that the conditions in the Cortez are probably more similar to the Chesapeake or maybe the Carolinas. Lots of local wind. The Pacific in SoCal is a different animal. Bigger swells but not quite as much of the short period local wind chop. Don’t want a deep vee. Need a modified vee. Can’t have any bow steering or pitch pull.
Can anyone speak to the Jones brothers 23 CF? Looking at getting one with a 200hp yammy. Any thoughts or suggestions of other boats aside from Jones, Steiger, Pair and Layton would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had a Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 26: I LOVED that boat. It had a very soft re-entry. Never once did that boat pound. I went from Parker to JB back to Parker ( simply because I wanted the pilot house). But, absolutely no complaints against the JB: And you can literally get ahold of Donnie Jones 24/7 via text.
He responds to emails w/ in 12 hours. Jones Brothers understands customer service. Parker? not so much... one of the worst in the industry....

I had a Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 26: I LOVED that boat. It had a very soft re-entry. Never once did that boat pound. I went from Parker to JB back to Parker ( simply because I wanted the pilot house). But, absolutely no complaints against the JB: And you can literally get ahold of Donnie Jones 24/7 via text.
He responds to emails w/ in 12 hours. Jones Brothers understands customer service. Parker? not so much... one of the worst in the industry....
Not to pry, but I am assuming you got pretty good resale and good interest when you went to sell your JB?

Hey there. Just sold my beloved 2005 Parker 1801. I live in SoCal and I’m a spearo. Took my boat 80 miles offshore in the Pacific and deep into the Sea of Cortez, Baja. Boat had a F115 and lencos. She was very, very seaworthy and had an excellent ride. She rarely came down and slammed. Sometimes I got a little wet but she had a very soft ride. I tried out a 21se Parker and was shocked to discover that the ride was in my opinion terrible compared to that of my 1801. We tested her in lumpy but not rough conditions. The water just had some boat wakes but no swell and no white caps. I feel like my 1801 would have handled the seas perfectly. The 21se slammed! The bow jumped easily and came down and sent shock waves through my spine.
As much as I loved my Parker, I need a boat that handles chop and following seas with long period (8-12 seconds at 4-6 ft) steep swells like a pro. I would say that the conditions in the Cortez are probably more similar to the Chesapeake or maybe the Carolinas. Lots of local wind. The Pacific in SoCal is a different animal. Bigger swells but not quite as much of the short period local wind chop. Don’t want a deep vee. Need a modified vee. Can’t have any bow steering or pitch pull.
Can anyone speak to the Jones brothers 23 CF? Looking at getting one with a 200hp yammy. Any thoughts or suggestions of other boats aside from Jones, Steiger, Pair and Layton would be appreciated. Thanks!
I had Chad May , owner of Maycraft boats build me a 20 foot Cape Classic. He custom builds to your needs. Example ... can build with no bow platform , no boxes at stern / transom , etc. they also build a 22.6 with full transom option. These are basic Parker / Jones Brothers / style fishing boats with mod vee hull

23’ JB CF is an outstanding hull. I toured the JB facility and talked to Donnie at length and he’s the best in the business at cust service. I sea trialed the 23 and would have bought it but needed a bigger boat so ended up with the Parker 2501. People take the 23 60+ miles out here on the Crystal coast all the time, weather permitting, and the ride of the 23 is incredible for its size. Both companies build excellent tough hulls and will get you home in the snot.

Back