SouthWest Florida Parker Owners Group Rendevouz

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a good idea for those who have committed to the trip to identify yourself to Larry (OtherLine/aka Scoops) either here or PM so we can get a cell phone list circulating. Then we can communicate and decide when and where to meet both on the water and on land. 8)

jim

Got the PM's. Thanks guys. I will try and put together a list and make sure everyone that indicates they plan on coming has phone numbers etc.,.

To answer Robert's question, I am highly confident that we will meet First on land and then on the water. I just need to figure out what day everyone is coming down.

So, as you guys reply or pm me, please let me know when you plan on arriving in Big Pine.

Larry, I'm pretty sure I'll be there. I may be bringing my uncle, brother-in-law, and a friend. I am planning on just sleeping on the boat, a couch, lawn chair, campground, or where ever, but if nobody has claimed that bedroom yet I'd love to provide a little comfort for my uncle. I think you already have my cell number so we'll talk soon. I was planning on making the trip down on Wednesday, and haven't decided if I'll be trailering or boating down.

Anybody make that trip by boat from the Tampa area - if so, how was it?

Macfern":2iv8cvzo said:
Anybody make that trip by boat from the Tampa area - if so, how was it?

I know people who have trailered to Marco Island and boated to the Keys from there. They launched at sunrise and got to Marathon about 1pm. Leaving from Tampa would be way too much for me. You'd probably have to spend the night in Marco. The time and gas would be a big consideration. Don't think I'd be motivated to get out on the water in the Keys after such a long transit. However, could be the trip of a lifetime if the wx cooperates. Maybe if your Keys stay was a little longer then it would be more fun, especially the long trip back.

jim

I agree that I'd need more time to make the entire trip by boat, but the Marco leg may be a consideration. I looked at a map earlier today (haven't checked any charts yet) and it seems that Marco to Cudjoe is about 100 miles. Looks like that would be about the same time and maybe just a tad more fuel than if I continued by truck/trailer from Marco. But another thing to consider is not having a vehicle when I get there, and needing to pay for fuel at a marina. I'll probably decide while enroute.

OK> I've heard from a couple of guys and I'd like to start forming a plan.

The event is going to be in Big Pine Key, which is around Mile Marker 33. Robert Cibran had suggested a few places where we might gather for a raft up or dinner. However, he wasn't exaclty sure where we were staying and his suggestions ar up near MM80, which is a haul.

Anyway, tentative plan: Meet up Wed or Thursday. Fish Thursday and Friday. You can do your own thing for dinner those nights, go party or join up with some guys for both. Do a raft up and party Saturday. Saturday night, group dinner. Sunday, head out.

Robert tells me the Sailfish are biting in about 140' of water. In the Keys, that's spitting distance from shore. :D

Please send me a PM if you plan on attending and which days you plan on being down. If anyone is interested in hiring a captain for some specialty fishing, let me know. I will try and hook us up with one.

March 12th will be here before you know it!!!

Now that I know where Big Pine Key is,I agree that it is a long haul,I will try to be down there on Thursday and meet up with all on Friday,If not able because of work,will meet with all on Saturday.

Please keep my cell phone number handy so that you can call me and I can come down to Big Pine and have dinner with you guys.

Robert Cibran
305-775-9966
305-775-1975

Robert:

March is not usually the time of year I go to the Keys.....typically what is the water temp that time of year? I was thinking of doing some spearfishing. Interested?

jim

Jim,

Water temp now is cold ,Should be in mid 70'S,March is a toss up,can be flat,can be choppy,for the last 3 days the winds here have been at 15 to 20 MPH and seas 4 to 6 foot.Some friends have gone spearfishing in early January,they have told me water very cold and have gotten cramps.

I have been watching the Florida Fishing Report for the last few Thursday's and fishing in the Keys has been very good,sails in 140 to 200 ft of water around Davis and Conch reefs,grouper in 60 to 70 ft on the reefs.

I have never really been a rod and reel guy,so my fishing experience is limited to kids catching grunts and the likes.I only spear,usually for Hogs,grouper and other fish which can eat (never take more than limit) and no under sized fish.

dont know of any places which can spear in Big Pine,there is another member here who lives in Marathon,I bet he knows.

Over the last few years there have been Reefs that have been designated as protected and therefore no spearing allowed.

Jim,I would be very glad to go with you but as I told Larry,work is a problem now,I may have only one day to go down to the Keys and I would like to do that so that I can meet all of you,I dont know if during daytime or will have to be at night and have dinner with all.But will definitely go down to Big Pine Key.

Robert

It is with regret that I am announcing that the First SW FL Parker Event is a bust.

With only 2 weeks to go, I only had 3 commitments from guys who were willing to make the trip down to the Keys. Given that those 3 guys are from the Tampa Bay area (a 9 -10 hour drive away from Big Pine Key), it made no sense to hold it there.

So, instead, we are going to meet and raft up closer to home. Probably Ft. Desoto. Perhaps some of the guys who live closer to the Tampa Bay area might be inclined to joing us.

I am a little disappointed. It's kinda like all my buddies who always say they want to go fishing with me, but when you call em' up and tell them you're going next week (and leaving at 4 am), they all P%&@$ out.

I do know that at least one of our members had planned to go and unfortunately just discovered that his son is seriously ill. I respect that and wish him and his son well. I am not going to disclose who it is. I will let him do so if he wishes to.

All you west coast or central florida boys are welcome to join us, for the First Annual TAMPA BAY Parkers owners rendevous!!!
[/b]

grouperjim":17jxsl6o said:
I'm there man.....just say when......preferably not 4am. 8)

Not to worry. Raft up will be a reasonable time.

Speaking of 4 am.. Going out to the 40 mark (130-150 miles) with buddy Chris and 2 other shooters. Going after the BIG gags. Soon as the closure is lifted. March 12th I think.

If your're interested and can get up that early, let me know. I'll save you a spot.

Also, installed your grab rail today. 3/4" bolts were the right size. Was a snap. Will come in handy. Thanks again.

Also, found the place that makes the table and drawers for the bulkhead. Getting a price quote.

Well I guess I'm there as well. But, it's a shame the Keys are off, me and my small group have been anxious as hell for the 13th to get here. We have been talking about a keys trip for years, so if you change your mind we are still in. If not, we'll probably see you at Ft. Desoto. Is that just a day outing, or maybe a Ft. Desoto or Shell Key camping trip? Kind of a non-event when your so close to home that you can drive there at the end of the day.

Macfern":2qkme5ax said:
Well I guess I'm there as well. But, it's a shame the Keys are off, me and my small group have been anxious as hell for the 13th to get here. We have been talking about a keys trip for years, so if you change your mind we are still in. If not, we'll probably see you at Ft. Desoto. Is that just a day outing, or maybe a Ft. Desoto or Shell Key camping trip? Kind of a non-event when your so close to home that you can drive there at the end of the day.

Yes it does suck and the accomodations were perfect. Just too much effort for me, you and your group and grouper jim.

Regarding the Alternative, I would not mind camping overnight but as it stands right now, it's just a day trip. If enough people express an interest in overnighting it, I'm in.

I've already gotten permission from the admiral for the original time frame. So, I am completely flexible to camp out or go where ever.

jim 8)

Allright... I can do the camping thing as well, but if I hear any banjos in the middle of the night, you are going to see what a Parker poppin a wheelie looks like...

Anyway Jim/MacFern, got any suggestions for an overnighter? We can beach em at the opening to Bunces or if you want to be more protected we can come inside.

Back