sparkplugs???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottymac.mac

Reaction score
i have a 2009 2320 with a 250 4 stroke yamaha. It onlyhas 125 hours, and started misfirning at low idle. I changed the fuel filters thinking water in the gas. The parker dealer told me plugs need to be changed every 100 hours???? that sounds crazy. of course my manual is in the boat at the dealer, so I cant check it. Has anybody else heard this? I would think they would go a lot more than that.

OK, have the maual in front of me...

Maintenance chart for the F250 regarding spark plug(s)...

Actions:
Initial (10 hours / one month), Cleaning / adjustment / replacement.
Inital (50 hours / 3 months), No action noted.

Actions:
Every (100 hours / 6 months), No action noted.
Every (200 hours / 1 year), Cleaning / adjustment / replacement.

I check the plugs every season and bought a new set at 100 hrs. What a waste of money. Now over 400 hrs on the originals and I keep the new ones on the boat just in case. The plugs with 400 hrs look new and the gap and electrode are as new. Some of the sevice shcedules are a little overkill and that way to cover all usage. Just do what makes you feel good or and use your best judgement.

100hrs? No. 8)

A 4 stroke engine is just like your car, no need to replace that often, I just did mine after 5 years and saw no difference with the new ones, get the NGK from NAPA they are the cheapest.

2 stroke is a different story.

My F250 has over 500 hrs on original plugs. Have the new ones but when I pulled the originals they looked great . Rechecked the gaps and put them back in. Engine runs great and gets great fuel mileage.

I really doubt your probelms are plug related at 150 hours. But it doesn't hurt to clean and check the gaps.

These are like car motors...sort of, but we seldom run our cars at 4500 rpms for extended periods.

thanks for all the help, Tri state called me today....they said high carbon build up causing low compression. Said to much trolling and not enough wide open throtle, sounds strange to me on a new motor. I have never had an issue like this before.

Make sure you buy your fuel from a busy station on land. Get 89 octane and you should not be having carbon related issues with that low hours. As a rule of thumb my motor see's WOT on every trip because I do allot of trolling at 3 knots or less. I would be concerned that the problem is related to the ignition system (not plugs) or fueling. Does not sound right to me....many commercial guys use these including a friend who only runs his crab lines @ idle for hours on end and never have this issue? I think you have other issues that may be as simple as a faulty sensor or air leak. Good Luck!

well now the plot thickins...........Tri starte called me back today and said they did a carbon cleaning and have low compression in a cylinder???? Now they are thinking they need to replace the power head. Is it me or arent these Yamahas supposed to be some of the best built motors? I have done all the maintaince I should have and just cant figure this out. 132 total hours, they say about 120 low idle from trolling. I just cant think that a motor that is less than 9 months old should be this way. So much for a fathers day weekend on the boat.........maybe next time.

scottymac.mac":3rpdxmoa said:
Is it me or arent these Yamahas supposed to be some of the best built motors? 132 total hours, they say about 120 low idle from trolling. I just cant think that a motor that is less than 9 months old should be this way.
Very sorry to hear of the OB troubles. But no motor, nor any man-made product is immune to premature failure. One well-known guide I know of bought 2 new Suzi 4-strokes, only to have one catastrophically fail within 50-hours :shock: and both came off the Mfg line fairly close to each other too.

I don't care whether it's a 2-stroke or 4-stroke, I personally would do a Seafoam decarb every 50-60-hours on ANY OB I own, and maybe sooner if lots of trolling hours. But like others have stated, some motors don't need it, as some motors just don't carbon up. At best it might help YOUR motor, at worst ... you'll waste a $9 can of Seafoam and your time expended. FYI, it is believed that a lot of the variation as to what make a motor "cleaner" than another one might be due to the 'lost wax casting method' used ... one could be much smoother in internal surfaces (non-machined) than the other.

I would have them SOAK that cylinder in Seafoam overnight! Blow it out, and then do a full decarb regimen via the 1-gallon pony tank method (use the search, it's somewhere listed on CP) ... as I've seen so-called low cylinders come back, as the carbon gets dissolved off the rings and it comes back up. Oh, make sure they do a leak-down test if all others things done and it appears to come back. Please report back ...

Sometimes unintentional 'babying' an OB can cause harm too ... (no offense to you intended). I've always been taught to run fast on way back in and zoom up to max RPMs for a few minutes to "clear her out". But there again, I know of another guide who ALWAYS ran at or within a few hundred RPMs off max ... and he blew up motor after motor :roll: . Duh, wonder why??

i do not know, only that the motor ran great other than at idle. It would misfire a little. The mechanic said they coould not get compression even close to specs

That stuff about trolling is a bunch of crap. Low compression = a WARRANTY claim at 132 hours. That thing should troll forever.

Get a new powerhead ON Yamaha.

who would you call to get warrenty claims moving. I believe the dealer is on the 3rd shock treatment???? I would hope they are doing thier best to help me, but how do I know? IS there a Yammaha number to call for help? I think the dealer is only doing what Yammaha is tellinf them to do. They have been good so far, but can theydo more?

heres the latest, I talked with Yamaha today. They have records of all the calls from tri state and are now waiting for pictues of the powerhead and pistons. It would apear that they are going to replace the power head and are waiting to verify thats what is wrong. Bad news is power head is on backorder for 3-6 weeks, I hope they can find one sooner.....

Marine engines have a hard life compared to a car.

A car seldom sees WOT for an extended period and is not constantly under a heavy load.

A marine engine will run at much higher RPMs and under a constant heavy load (pushing a boat through water is not easy). When trolling or just normal operation, carbon will build up (some more than others, some less) from incomplete combustion. Using a fuel additive will help relieve some of the build up (Ring Free and others). But as always YMMV.

Sorry to hear about the problem with the 250.

The 250 is a great engine but when you mass produce anything you are going to have a bad one or two.

Yamaha has a good reputation for taking care of their customers.

Back