Speaker installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pain Management

Reaction score
Guys,
I know someone has to have an answer to this problem or so I hope. I'm installing a sterio system and can't figure a way to mount the interior cabin speakers. The only idea I have is to build a box and use the two grab rail bolts some how. The problem I see with that idea is the box would be way to big for the 6 inch speakers. If anyone has a better way please tell me because I'm at a loss. Pictures say a thousand words if you know what I mean.
George :shock: :shock: :shock:
I did take a look at past posts but I really wanted to mount them in the upper corners for best sound.

I think it depends on the interior finishings, to a point, for your model's cabin. Looking at the pic below of my '92 vintage helm cabin (port-side view), I could have added a box speaker where the paper towell rack is.

IMHO, or maybe for my budget anyway ;) , cut-in speakers (specially into existing fiberglass structures) sound WAY better than any box speaker going! I added a 6"by9" co-axial (tri-axial?) into the base of the seat, above that teak trim line, and centered on that part that is the foot rest.

Galley2-M.jpg

My starboard speaker wasn't so elegant, as I cut into the bottom of the helm, as LOW as I could go in this picture below, taken of my 'old' helm (as she's been updated recently). I placed it on the sloped portion below the switch panel.

Helm1-M.jpg

At first I thought it was kind of a 'funky' arrangement, as one speaker blares forward and the other to the aft. But in reality - it's cool! Now I can hear it good when up in the V-berth and also when at the helm. I will say mounting the speakers INTO any existing frp panel or struture will give you much more depth, bass, and boom than any box speaker.

I found I was able to buy premium brand and quality 'cut-in'speakers for the same price, if not lower, than I would for so-so brand 'box' speakers. Box speakers, less those > $200/pair, always sound tinny to me ...

I bought a nice pair ($85) of Bose marine speakers at Sam's Club and installed them here........very easy, very small holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,707
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,705
Pain,

I agree with both the not cutting holes and utilizing the bolts of other things. I plan on building my speaker boxes for the upper corners utilizing the upper bolt for mounting. If it fits into the top upper corner I believe it will be held securely in place with the one bolt. You may have to make some sort of bracket if the bolt is not long enough. I also like using speaker boxes as I think it keeps the sound for resonating through the hull as much. I don’t think the fish I fish for dance so I like to keep the sound in the boat and not in the water.

Depending on the year of your boat a teak box looks nice although it will cost a little.

Thanks for the information. I did check prior posts on the subject and I guess I have to decide weather to cut them in somewhere or mount a box speaker. If I do go with a box on the side how thick is the wall, I would hate to punch one through.
Also I had seen that a speaker can be mounted under the gunnal for sound on the deck. Can anyone tell me how it sounds being the speakers are pointed towards the deck?
Thanks again for the responce
George

I have a 160 watt stereo, with 4 Bose weather proof speakers on our 2520.
2 speakers are mounted in the cabin, at the rear, like the picture above.
2 speakers are mounted under the gunnel pointed slightly down at the floor.

You really can't get much more sound out of something and still sound so good! Those Bose rock the boat... literally! With 160 watts pushing it, I can run the volume up near max without distortion. Biggest problem is, finding music everyone likes... Some people just don't like Freebird at 135dB!

any Lynyrd Skynyrd at 130db sounds great to me.
especially gimme back my bullets.

I put mine in the back corners of the pilot house, and i to have a loud music maker :)

Pain Management said:
Pictures say a thousand words if you know what I mean.

quote]

Upper corners, coming right up.

I also have two speakers mounted under the gunwales. I think they are the poly planers. Water proof, white. Can barely see them although they do just out just a little.

Attachments

• Cabin Speaker Bracket Install (Small).jpg
    Cabin Speaker Bracket Install (Small).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Cabin Speakers Poly Planer M800 (Medium).jpg
    Cabin Speakers Poly Planer M800 (Medium).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Pictures 011 (Medium).jpg
    Pictures 011 (Medium).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,477
Thanks to all!
I had to go with the box type speakers for one reason... They were easy to mount. I do agree with Dale in that they sometimes sound tinny but that sometimes has to do with the quality of the speaker. I figured with Bose or other quality name brand they would sound good in the cabin. I also think that when speakers or say a GPS unit are cut into the fiberglass it gives it a better clean look but I hate cutting anything on the boat. I always think when I go to replace it down the road the new unit won't fit into the existing cut out hole. I used the upper bolt of the grab rail to mount the cabin speakers in the corners. For outside I went with a marine grade 60w speakers for under the gunnel. I did no drilling as I used bolts that attach my rail. I just drilled the speaker bracket to match up to the rail bolts. As for the sterio I went to Best Buys and picked up a 200w Sony for about 120.00. I made a box out of some oak, stained it and mounted it with two small screws at the bottom rim of the cabin side. (Not sure what you would call that part of the boat)
I would rather turn a wrench then mess with electrical any day of the week but everything turned out ok and the system sounds great! If I made one mistake it was using the marine grade wire at 18.00 per 35 feet. After looking at all that wire I ran to give it a clean look and what it actually cost I think car wire would have been fine.
Now if I can get my 14 year old to stop playing that bull %&*% rap and hip hop I would be a happy man!!

BTW I did go and buy a splitter to use my vhf antenna at 45.00. I initially thought that was a rip off untill I hooked it up. I get more radio reception on my boat with that antenna then I do in any of the cars I own.

I mounted my Poly-Planar box speakers in the corners using the factory bolt. No modification required. They sound plenty good for me.

Attachments

• Radio4 (Medium).jpg
    Radio4 (Medium).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,388
Here is my stereo Set up. I have a CMD 5 head unit with a DVD Player that is hooked up to my 4212. Also, I have the Ipod interface chord that charges and allows you to play the songs. The picture is a little small but it still works with the DVD and 4212 Garmin. I have the Clarion Amp and 8 Speakers hooked up. 4 Clarion 6 inch in the cabin mounted in the bench seats that act like a box so there is a good amount of bass. In the cockpit I initially had 2 of the same Clarion 6 inch but the direction of the speakers made it so they were only heard well when you sat on the transom so I added the Poly Planar under Gunnel speakers. Made a huge difference.

Attachments

• Parker 005.jpg
    Parker 005.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Parker 006.jpg
    Parker 006.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Parker 022.jpg
    Parker 022.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Parker 023.jpg
    Parker 023.jpg