Suggest a hauler for moving a 2520 on a trailer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Have contract on a 2000 2520 with OB on extension on a 2005 Tandem axle trailer. If goes thru will need it moved from Morehead City, NC to Milton, Fl, 32583, in the panhandle near Pensacola.

Been searching this forum and found some horror stories on using U-Ship. Any other suggestions?? Thanks

My son-in-law has a big 4 door chevy truck which would probably haul it, and we are kicking that around. And I have the banners and flags that would make us legal for the 9 and 1/2 foot beam but getting permits for NC, SC, Ga, and than Fl are a challenge. I intend to get an annual permit for Florida so we can haul it for hurricanes and maintenance, but don't know where to start with the other states or what the costs would be. If could get hauled for $1000 with a reputable firm would probably jump on that. We are in the Panhandle near Pensacola just 3 miles off I-10 thru a country road. I figure get to I-95 and come down to I-10 and head west to the 26 mm just East of Pensacola.

BoatUS article

http://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release ... o0kzierGVo

...However, for longer trips across state lines, getting the necessary multiple permits isn’t that simple because each state requires its own permit. That’s a lot of time and paperwork. To help make this process easier, the BoatUS Trailering Club now offers a Wide-Load Permit Service in partnership with Mercury Permit Services......

Brent--appreciate the lead. I am a Boat US member with boat insurance thru them. I'll check out the link and see what is involved. Thanks

To close this out, the boat was pretty rough. The trailer was worse. I have just about given up on the Parkers. I have looked at 6 and not that impressed. I have had 5 boats that were all older than this last one I looked at, a 2000 model, and they all had better interiors, less rust on all the hardware in the cabin walls, and the cabin walls didn't "rain white flecks of material when I ran my hand over it. Anyway, don't need a trailer now. Thanks for the references, will keep looking but may give up on the parkers.

Fighterpilot,

It took me 9 months to find my Parker, don't be in a rush take your time she's out there. As far as hauling do it yourself permits are not hard to pull. I hauled my 28 from Beaufort, NC all the way down to south Florida. I pulled all the permits myself. I can't remember what state it was, but if you haul during day light hours you don't even need a permit. I used a 350 I rented, now I pull it with a Tahoe when I move her around. I keep hearing guys talk about hauling a 25 or 28 like if they are hauling a big rig. I hate to hurt their feelings, but it's a 25 or a 28 foot boat we are not pulling a yacht here.

Capt Mike, I will keep looking but will also check out other boats as well if closer to home. Hauling it home is made easier in that I can use Mercury to get the permits. Didn't realize there were rentals companies that would let you rent to haul a load like that, oversize and all. The 350 would certainly do it, but I wouldn't try the long haul with my F150. As a matter of fact the hauler I had lined up said 80 percent of the time when he arrives at a job the trailer doesn't have working brakes. He will take it up to 10000 lbs. anyway. Of course at home in Florida I would want brakes to preclude big liability issues in the event of an accident. Thanks for the encouragement and the advice.

Fighterpilot Long distance and oversize towing is not as difficult as it's sounds (ie. 23-28 ft 8-6" to 9-6") 10-0" & up is another issue
All permits can be obtained on the computer with a little time invested. I have towed 23 Parker, 25 Grady and 26 Glacier Bay from OC Md. to Marathon Fl. in the Keys for the last 9 years with GM pickups 1500 series , auto trans ,5.3L motors and 3.73 rears. However I have had my receiver hitches beefed up and welded to the frame, installed an extra after market trans cooler in front of the factory tow package unit and installed air bags on the rear suspension. Of course I have had working brakes on all axles of the trailers, and had my loads balanced. This year will be the 5 year with same truck. Always been able to keep up with the highway speeds with out being unsafe.
The year I pulled over width Grady, down and back I was pissed that I never got pulled over for permit check , maybe because I had banners front and rear as well as lighted side markers on the boat.
However with all said it seems a lot harder than it really is....Get the papers and go for it, Oh and let your insurance company know what you are doing and make sure your covered !!!! just in case the other guy F&$K's UP. :)

Fighterpilot,

Well, I hope you find your Parker anyway. Once you go Parker you'll never look back. As far as the trailer I agree, it's what makes hauling a breeze or a nightmare. I did buy a new Continental trailer 12000 double axle when I got the boat. I sure would have not used a 150 for that haul. Again, as far as the permits they were not hard to pull. I still don't think it's a big deal to haul a Parker. Happy thanksgiving everyone.

A permit in Florida is $20.00 a year for a "blanket permit" and can be applied for on-line or by telephone.
http://www.fdotmaint.com/PermitNew/home.asp If you apply on-line, call them for help on filling out the form as you don't need fill it out in its entirety for a PU truck pulling a trailer. I believe you just need oversize length, width & height + weight & number of axles.
I live near a port of entry where there is always a DOT officer in the area, have not been stopped for having a wide load.

Hauler, probably a moot point now. I'm putting the Parker search on the back burner--After 6 months of searching, looking at 6 boats, etc., it would appear $25,000 can't buy one worth having at that price. Have started looking at other boats that might do the job for us and the WAs are possible. Most of them are 8 foot 6 inches that can be powered with a single OB, so hauling not a big issue. They offer fish boxes, bait wells, enclosed head with pump out, etc. which help offset the smaller cockpit area. Apparently there were a lot more of them built and the availability makes them less expensive. Supply and demand a factor. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just hold off and save some more coins, took us two years to find a deal ($30.000) and I'm glad we waited! I grin when I see a walk-around we looked at, knowing we made the best choice!

Back