Suggest a typical spread

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evetsmd

Reaction score
For the past couple years I've been a 4 sometimes 5 rod spread (actually not much of a spread) Usually it's been 2 or 3 tandems of various weights and 2 Mann's Stretch 25's

The tandems (usually white and chart) get fished off the stern about 10 pumps back and the Mann's baits get fished off the sides about 8 pumps back. A pump is about 10' of line (lift the rod from 3 o'clock to 10 o'clock and let out the line) I use a couple of Smith outrigger rod holders to get these Mann's baits a little further out!

My boat goes in mid week and I'd like to get out ASAP.....I've never used any umbrellas or chutes but it seems to be the thing to do from reading all the posts.....

So can you guys help me get educated......what do you think about this setup? If I wanted a couple of umbrella rigs, size, how many arms, weight etc. - anything I should know about chutes before I buy? How heavy?

Any suggestions for a tackle shop on the eastern shore?

As usual....thanks for your help!

Steve

Bass ... toona ... bluesfish ... specks ... :?: ????

Here's a basic 5 line spread for rockfish to cover the water column. I usually run tandum bucktails on the deep side drops and various umbrellas and spoonbrellas on the WB lines and a spoon or something like it on the WWB line. I troll with pretty light tackle. Remember the bucktails are the weight for tandum rigs. Speed between 1.9ish and 2.5ish. All rigged with braid. Crimped floro for leaders and rigs.

spread.jpg

Steve -

When I started out boating I used 9'er Umbrella rigs with great success. My favorite color to use was chartruse. I trolled a pair of them on wire line outfits behind the boat in Cape Cod Bay and caught lots of fish. When I bring newbies out or my sisters out on my boat fishing I still use them.

Many of the fish you catch on 9'ER Rigs will be shorts but I've caught them up to 44 inches on them. Do a search because they have a website. Oh yeah, buy extra shads because the bluefish love them as well!

Matt

For 5 lines, this is what I would troll in the spring:

2 or 5oz solo parachute back 250'
2oz/5oz tandem back 150-180' or 5-7oz solo chute back 200' (would probably lean towards the solo chute)
4oz/7oz tandem back 130-150'
6/9oz tandem parachutes out 90'-110'
Umbrella with 20oz out 55-75'

good luck!

Thanks to all....... I've got plenty of good info to get me started for the season.

Steve

Back