Sunglasses

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradV

Reaction score
Not starting a debate over customer service or what anyone likes just a personal opinion.

I have had several pairs of Costa Del Mar sunglasses and was fairly happy with them as far as comfort but had problems with the lens delamenating and had to send them back a few times. Finally they went swimming so it was time to get a new pair. My buddy has the new 580 CDM and after 8 months the lens is cracked. So i did a search to find a pair that fit me.

I ended up getting Maui Jim Peahi. Wore them out fishing today and was very impressed with them. The grey lens was excellent in the bright sun today. It is pretty neat that the top and bottom of the lens are mirrored or darker but either way even looking into the direction of the sun I never had to squint. Water was pretty clear and could easily see below the surface for at least 20 feet. If anyone is considering or looking around for glasses they might not be as stylish as CDM or Oakley but they are definately a good pair. Did not feel heavy either with the glass lens.

I have always had CDM's. The first pair lasted me 8 years without problem. They actually replaced them with a pair of Harpoon's b/c the logo wore off.

My wife bought me a pair of Ballasts a few years back for Christmas. Between the 2, I think I have sent them back 6 times.

I don't think the quality is there anymore. Next pair will be something different.

I have both Mauis and Costas for atleast 10 yrs and the Mauis blow away the Costas. Costas are my back up on the boat.

another vote for MJ's. 8) work in all light conditions and don't change the color of the objects. I have spoted more fish in the water than others with my MJ's on. I don't know they are on! that's a good pair of glasses. I have also had some good luck with Smith brand glasses at about only $60. They are a long time gogle maker so they know lense crafting. I have Smiths as back on the boat. Smith's can be found at ski or out door rec. sports stores.

Have worn Costa's for the last few year's and thought they were good. Bought a pair of the Maui Jim Peahi's, as Brad did, and they are now my main pair, Costa's went to the boat as back-up's. With the Costa's, I found my eyes getting tired and blury after all day driving or fishing, with the MJ's no more eye fatigue.

The MJ Peahi's have my vote! 8) 8)

the MJs are heavy due to the glass lenses but the double axis polarization and quality frames make them outstanding. My wife wears them. I where Ocean Waves with gray polarized lenses which are built like tanks....indestructible. Also wear Ray Bans with the amber/bronze plastic lenses. I like them a lot but they are light weight and you have to be careful not to break them.

the mjs with the glass lens are a heck of a lot lighter than the 580s that i tried. I looked into kaenon glasses as well. Give those a look if you are into glasses if you have someone local. I found the frames to be to small for my fat head.

I do not have a large head and really appreciate light glasses. I have a nice pair of Rivo's that I wear for general use, but they don't hold up well in front of a head wind coming through the cabin window.

Any recommendations on what model of MJ's to look at?

Thanks.

Itguy

there are so many models the best thing to do is find a good dealer nearby and go to them. I ended up buying from the local sunglass hut in the mall they had a 90 day return policy and clean them whenever im at the mall. So far twice just to see if they would. Once you pick a frame out you can decide on the color. the grays are awesome for sunny days and the bronze is great for less light. If i had to pick one id go with bronze just because you can wear them in the bright light as well they just allow in more percentage of light. all of them will mess you with at the beginning because they are darker on the lens top and bottom

the bronze lenses I call my "happy" glasses. the greens and yellows are really enhanced and pleasing to the eye. they also let in more light which makes it easier to read things inside the cabin.

the gray lenses enhance the blues. both are great at spotting fish.

I have a pair of Mauies, and let me tell you I have some really bad eye issues with them being very light sensitive. they are by far the best glasses I have ever owned. I scrached them about a year after getting them and they relaced the lens for 30 bucks, you cant beat that. I would recomend to anyone who likes to be outside alot.

Are any of these sunglasses mentioned available in prescription type or would I have to convert to contacts to be able to wear them? :roll:

Back