Sunshade.... a Grouperjim tribute.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan 2530

Reaction score
I have been putting this thing together since Grouperjim posted his first post!!!!
I got the CE Smith out rodders from the Classic Parker classifieds, Scoops Ahoy.... I mean The Other Line may remember. :lol:

I did a little work here and there as the parts popped up. most everything except the jaw fittings are from old bimini tops people had thrown out or not used.
The best part is the out-rodders are still usable with the removal of one bolt.

The frame is complete, next step canvas guy.

What do you guys think???
Jim, let me know if you see any problems.

shade1.jpg

shade2.jpg

shade3.jpg

shade4.jpg

shade5.jpg

shade6.jpg

Looks like very good use of spare parts..That shade will be appreciated this summer for sure.

Looks nice! You must be skinny to get shaded by that :lol: Bigger tubing offers more shade :lol:

ppem45":3nqh7ht3 said:
I haven't seen any posts from grouperjiim lately, is he on vacation?

elvis has left the building.

grouperjim=MangoTango at CapMel.com.........and yes, he is down in the FL Keys on vacation. 8)

BTW nice job Bryan, the canvas will make it. Eventually you can upgrade the takeoffs (for aesthetic reasons). it is one of those evolving projects.

I must be getting absent minded I forgot to say anything about the new canopy.

Great job Bryan, good ole "Yankee Ingenuity"

seapup":39tvhnv4 said:
Eventually you can upgrade the takeoffs (for aesthetic reasons). it is one of those evolving projects.

That is one thing I will not be doing, I like being able to still use the out rodders for their original intention..... I think they kinda look cool that way. Like the bumper bullets on a 57 Chev or taillights on a 59 Caddy.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm a little concerned about the canvas going over the bows and being pulled down in the spaces between but we'll see..... got a friend in the canvas business, I'm sure he'll get it right.

Hi Bryan, I dont know who you use for your sunbrella but just for your information I use Cramer Canvas in Stonington CT and they are unbelievable. Not cheap but the best, might be worth a call
860 460 3394
860 599 3601
Ask for Chris

Bryan 2530":1h0cbhqz said:
I got the CE Smith out rodders from the Classic Parker classifieds, Scoops Ahoy.... I mean The Other Line may remember. :lol:

What do you guys think???

I remember when you snagged those rod holders out from under me :lol: :lol:

You made better use of them than I would have.

I think, so far, it looks great. I fish his boat a lot and that skinny thing WILL provide shade for one person, in the right spot.

Jim is Key West bound. I'm sure he will tune in eventually.

I bought my Sunbrella off EBay & got enough to make 3 tops far cheaper than buying it from my canvas shop. Took the assembled frame & fabric to them & they charged me maybe $80 to sew it up.

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

Scroll to bottom of page.

They put a two inch strip of Velcro around the perimeter and it has worked very well for me. Can easily remove the material for cleaning or sunshine.

Photo shows the sunshade as well as the dorade over my head and my air horns.

The admiral is content so life is good......................Pete

Attachments

• 100_0974 (Small).JPG
    100_0974 (Small).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2,445
My husband asked me to post these........from July 4th.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,321
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,321
Needed a quick source of shade and had to make do with what I had in the garage. RefugesRus
33afjiu.jpg

Old umbrella top and two 7' poles and we could run with it up.

My sunshade has been banging along just fine for a few months now. In terms of fatigue loads or simply a breaking load, I do not see a problem with my sun shade or the rod holders. If anything fatigues and breaks on mine it would be the joint where the vertical post joins the tubing that runs aft on the edge of the sunshade and I used a simple bow rail fitting for this joint. By leaving the forward edge open, the wind load when running is on the top & the bottom of the shade so it is probably held in place by the wind helping damp out some of the wave impact loads.

And bottom line is, I left fittings at the aft ends of my tubing so I could add two tubes running from the shade to the stern if I ever needed them for some reason. If the tubes I have break, I would simply put in a larger diameter or thicker walled tube. If the rocket launcher pipe weld comes loose I would have it rewelded. I do not think the weld will break as the forward tube of the sunshade helps distribute the loads to both rod holders at all times. So, in my opinion, it is an easy fix no matter if any part of the sunshade system fails and so far I see no signs that any will fail. Of course I could bend the forward/aft tubing down hard to see what breaks first, but think I'll not do that since the admiral is so happy with the shade.......................Pete

I-75 tested to 70 mph. After being caught out in a SCA, the only limitation encountered so far is wind from the rear...... I would say 35 mph max.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,056
Well. 3 years after making the frame finally brought it to a canvas guy to have it covered. He did an awesome job, even made me a bag.

Now I need the boat in!!! I'm a little late this year.

R6oOQ.jpg

7fZ7d.jpg

ia1NJ.jpg

Latest posts

Back