Suzuki Owners Please Chime In

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH / Emily S

Reaction score
Ok , we've heard lots of speculation about the merits of Suzuki powered Parkers.

So I'm asking all of the Suzuki powered Parker owners to share their experience with us.

Please include, your boat and motor combination, some performance numbers, and your dealership / support experience.

Don't be shy !! We need to know all ........

Paul - I am on my third season with my 250 Zuke. I am very pleased with the motor. I can cruise anywhere b/t 21 and 24 knots b/t 8 and 10 gallons/hr. That is with a full load of fuel and a fully loaded cabin. I have had no problems except for the faria gauges. They were replaced under warranty two times. I am sure the performance is no different than what you are getting with your Yammy. I chose the Zuke b/c my mechanic happens to be a Zuke dealer. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Brad

I don't have a Suzuki, but I saved the info posted by someone else a while back.

23DVCC Parker w/T-Top, 2 people, 40 gallons fuel. 250/4 Suzuki...

Wide Open-46 MPH
2.2 MPG @ 30 MPH
2.6 MPG @ 24 MPH

Conditions were "slack tide and no wind"

Brad and Fish Factory - These posts are contradictiry. FF is only getting 2.2 - 2.4 MPG with the 23 DV. Brad, if your numbers are correct, you are appoaching 3MPG on a 25. yet you both have 250 Zukes.

How are you measuring fuel burn ? Is a GPS used for the speed sensor ?
Brad, I belive you have a DV ? Please confirm.

Paul - the speed is via GPS and the fuel burn is by the fuel meter. On average I am getting about 2.2 -2.5 miles per gallon on a mixed run. This is my best estimate. I can't imagine that the Yammy performance is much different.

Brad 8-10MPG from 21-24 knots is more like 2.8 - 3MPG , which is very good. The paradox si that the 23DV is getting much less.

Just trying to ascertain the facts. Glad you are happy with your choice of power.

The unknown variable in this case is the prop. I think you would need run comparable props to make generalizations between the two engines.

I think 28-30 mph should yield about 2.6-2.8 mpg for either engine (moderately loaded and w/right prop). For a 23DV 2.2 mpg at 30 mph seems a little on the low side. The only way I can get 2.2 mpg or worse is at WOT.

It would be nice if we could accumulate more data like this in the Parker hull/prop database topic.

jim

Paul,
I am on my second season with my 250hp zuke pushing my 23' DV center console with factory hard top and foward seating model. I have owned five 4-stroke suzuki's ( 3 250's, a 70hp and a 25hp ) and one 2-stroke suzuki. The only problem I ever had was with my 2-stroke, when in 1998 she blew a cylinder at 78 hrs. I am fortunate to have a "Diamond Service Dealer" who had me up and running in 6 days with no cost to me when the 2-stroke blew.
As far as the 4-strokes go I have had zero problems with any of the 5 i've owned. No gauges, ( I have the plain old analog Suzuki style) or accessories, powerhead, FI or pumps etc,etc.
One advantage I see over Yammie's is the service. On the 250hp there is no belt adjustment to be made ,( My 70hp did require a cam adjustment per the maintenance sched at around 25 hrs ) and the service requirements are very simple. I do the maint myself and my dealer keeps records of the items I purchase for warranty issues. My oil filter's are $9.00, Suzuki engine oil is sold to me in bulk form for $8.00 per quart from the dealer and the in-line fuel filter, $12.00, only gets changed out every 400 hrs per the maint sched. The cost of the Zuzuki brand lower unit oil is around $11.00 per tube and the zinc anodes are replaced as neccessary . I also replace my Racor fuel filter once per season and thats really a cost every owner will have. NKG spark plugs run $2.00 a piece from my dealer and I change them out once a year also. $5.95 for a can of CRC to spray the engine down annually and I'm ready for a full season of boating. When I compare this to the cost of my buddy's Yamaha engine service, I'm saving money. Apparently the oil filter alone for his engine is $25.00.
Now as far as performance goes, we all know that will change with prop size,engine mounting and load conditions. My boat is set up with the engine mounted all the way down ( I'm thinking of raising the motor not to increase performance but to get the cowling higher above the water-you know the whole bracket issue and stern wake when you come off plane), a 15"x17" SS prop, 80-100 gallons of fuel, 4 adults, 4 sets of scuba gear, 8 steel scuba tanks and 4 small aluminum "pony bottle" tanks, Oxygen kit, tools,safety gear bag,ice,water and a few more misc items and the boat will cruise at 24 knots at 4500 RPM and burns 9.8-10.2 GPH as measured by a Navman fuel flow guage. Loaded I can bank on 2.0 MPG + ( technically a little better than that if you do the math ).
If i'm cruising with just the family onboard, same fuel load since I fuel up when returning from a dive trip, the performance really shines. I back off to 4200 RPM's, push up to 26kts or so and the fuel flow is around 8.2-8.8 GPH. ( ALL THESE SPEEDS ARE GPS AND CAN VARY WITH TIDE AND WIND ) Loaded I will say the boat takes a few seconds more to plane out than when not loaded.To compensate I put the trim tabs down and the torque that the engine produces, along with the larger diameter prop,pushes the boat right onto plane,even in ruff seas. Wide open the boat averages 39kts, 41kts is the highest I've seen, turning 6200 RPM's.
One thing I noticed is looking at all of Suzukis performance specs posted on thier website is that regardless of the boat, the engine burns ,within a gallon or so, the same for all the RPM's giving in the test reports.
As far as which is better, Yammie or Zuke, I think all things considered, their about the same. The annual maint cost may be a little higher on the Yammie and it weighs, I think, a whopping one pound more than a Zuke (for the 250hp model). If you go with a Suzuki I dont think you'll be disappointed. our local Sea Tow just got over 5000 hrs on a pair of Zuke 140's on a twin-vee and we all know that they get run hard in service behind the yellow boats (At least in N.C.)
Good like and feel free to PM me with any other questions

Nice detailed post Capt Keith, thanks.

My Yami oil filter run around $ 20 bucks, there are cheaper alternatives (sierra, I believe), but I read an interesting post on another thread which disected each filter. Seeing that post, I'm happy to pay the extra money for the Yamaha filter. Anyway the filter, plus 6 qts of oil were about $ 50, not too bad.

Prop is efinately critical but if you turning 5800-6200 rpms WOT with most of these fours you are in the ballpark.

Anyway still looking for some more perf numbers for a 250 or 30 Suzuki on a 25DVSC.

I just paid for 2 175s for my 2520 DV they will be in next week I went with the zukes because they have a better charging system 45 amps they have 174 cubic inches . the 150s and the 175s both have the same cubic inches other motors only have 162 cubic inches ASK ANY GIRL THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT all the Zukes 150-175-200-250 all have 250 lower units with a 2.5 to one gear ratio that means they turn a 16 thats SIXTEEN boys a girls INCH PROP .yThat alone will let me pull the throttle back and save some fuel probley 300-500 rpm less than any other motor those lower units really will help will efficiency, And the Zukes have a high pressure direct injection system a water cooled intake manifold and a water cooled voltage regulator ,These features will help with fuel efficiency ,, I bought the fuel analizer for both motors they hook up directly after the fuel filter on the motor and they have a compulink system that inter faces with my garmin and it all comes with the correct plugs from garmin no BULLSITT Cant wait. TTULTR Tommy Crowe

Water cooled voltage regulator ? Yamaha has had this for years. I assure you it will not add to your efficiency, but will enhance the longevity of the rectifier regulator. Keeping electrical components cool makes for a longer, more trouble free life.

PaulH / Emily S":t0021d2d said:
Water cooled voltage regulator ? Yamaha has had this for years. I assure you it will not add to your efficiency, but will enhance the longevity of the rectifier regulator. Keeping electrical components cool makes for a longer, more trouble free life.

Suzuki seems to be the outboard of "urban myths". Just as Yamaha has water cooled VST's, I would imagine Suzuki also has 'em. No magic, just the way motors are built.

To help dispell some other "Suzuki Myths"...

"Special Suzuki gearcases provide astounding performance". The 175 Suzuki has a 2.29:1, 200 Suzuki has 2.50:1. All Yamahas use 2.00:1. Looks to me like Yamaha is dead center between 2 Suzukis, what's the big deal? :?

Along with the special gearcase is the "Ability to swing big props". Go to a marina and look around. Tugboats, ferries, and other work boats use large diameter props, all performance boats use small, high-pitched props. Even if the "Ability to swing big props" is true, the gearcase difference 175 Suzuki-Yamaha is only 10%. :roll:

"Suzuki's large displacement motors are superior". A Suzuki 175 is 175 CID. Yamaha's 150 is 162 CID, the 200 is 204 CID. Notice 175 Suz and 200 Yam are both 1 HP/CID. Where's the magic here :?:

"Suzukis are so popular, can't get a replacement power head for 3 mos." Suzuki has always had trouble stocking repair parts (search Fla Sportsman). In fact, the're are "bargain" year old Suzukis available (again, Fla Sp.). I'm not too sure waiting 3 mos. for a powerhead is a good thing. :cry:

IMO, Suzukis are probably good motors. Too bad they have chosen to market themselves as a discount brand. When I see a premium boat such as a Regulator or Grady with Suzukis, my first thought is "I wonder where else he cut corners?"

Fish... Any idea when we'll see a Yamaha F300?

FWIW... Jim Maier of BOE Marine has a Suzy DF250 on his demo V23ST Black Lab plate alloy boat, and so far it's been trouble free and a strong runner.

Can't compare the performance to one of our boats as the V23 is much lighter in weight... though I can say that IMHO, I believe the Suzuki is louder than the Yamaha at anything over about 2500 rpm.

I was actually quite suprised at the sound level of the Suzi at cruise the first time I drove the boat.

Again... it's an apples to oranges comparison, and totally unscientific as my ears have never been calibrated.
38 years of sirens and air horns have left these ears battle worn. :)

Image-ECC6F119F6B411DB.jpg

Image-ECC71F1EF6B411DB.jpg

Image-F8AF9FDC08B311DC.jpg

Megabyte":2kq0emd9 said:
Can't compare the performance to one of our boats as the V23 is much lighter in weight...

Don't know about the 300-4 Yamaha. Can Black Lab access Yamaha products?

Not too sure about the "aluminum boats are much lighter in weight" urban myth. :D

The Black Lab V 2325 (Mod V CC) weighs 2600 #'s, same as 23SE Parker, also a mod V (18 vs 14).

If you compare to 23DV Parker (21 vs 18), you would have to add livewell, covering boards, rod holders, fishboxes, large console with seat and electronics cabinet, wash down, bow rails, and 3 more degrees deadrise to compare. The initial weight difference is 1,000#'s.

Ranger Boats used to do a comparison fiberglass to al. Bottom line was IF you compare stripped, basic jon boats, yes, al. is lighter. If you put in floors, amenities, brace for modern high HP, make strong for rough water, aluminum boats are same weight as fiberglass.

of course, you did say "comparing apples to oranges" and I agree. :wink:

Zuke 250 on a 2510 DV with the notch, Zuke 16X17 prop

Cruise 21-24kts

WOT 34 kts

140 hours.

Better out of the hole than the 2 stroke yammie. The magic is the bigger prop. The bite and close quaters handling is amazing.

I just got the boat in the water and have only about 20 hours on it. Its an 82' Sou' Wester 25 foot with a 250 4-stroke Suzuki mounted on a bracket. At 4000 rpm a full tank of fuel (125 gallons) and four people speed is 25 kts in calm seas. Same as above but 5000 rpm the speed is 33 kts, at wot = 6100 rpm she does 39 kts.

Using the trip meter on my Furuno 31 on two trips of 100 +/- miles starting with a full tank and refilling my economy has been 2.4 and 2.6 nautical miles per gallon. During these trips the average speed was 28kts. Trim tabs are on my list and I believe that they will help with both the ride and economy. In rough seas I cannot get the bow down as the boat tends to porpoise even at 15 to 20 kts.

This is my third Suzuki and my 2nd 4-stroke. It is quiet and very responsive. It doesnt have the butt whooping bottom end of a 2-stroke but it is impressive and comes out of the hole with no effort at all.

I just bought (for cheap money) a 16X18.5 for the DF 250/2510DV set up.

I'm hoping to lower my cruise rpms slightly. Currently the hole shot is in credible so I'm hoping it will still be adequate. If my calc's are right my wot should drop from 6400 to 5900. I hope to lower my cruise rpms to 4000 and be more effeicient.

Any feed back ?

Hi there harpoon, any results on your 16x18.5 prop? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Back