Teak Project Update

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipstream

Reaction score
Here's an update of the teak work on my 23se.
I'm about 1/2 way done with the finishing, but these pics give a good feel for the project. The opening on the right is for my Garmin. On the left is a removable box that will hold 4 plano boxes. The same size that fit on the console on the port side. The box can be removed to access all the mounting hardware and Garmin. Seemed like a good solution that will hide all the hardware.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• console 3.jpg
    console 3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 948
  • console 1.jpg
    console 1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 948
  • Console 2.jpg
    Console 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 948
I wanted to maintain some storage in the box, so I kept the FF to the right. It's where it's always been and has been no problem seeing. I thought about centering it, because it would have had a big expanse of teak, but wanted to maintain some storage.

The box will have some drains in the bottom back should any water get in. It will be secured by 2 screws that will be accessible, but hidden out of view. I have a canvas console cover when she's at her dock.

And yes, the windshield fits around it. I just had it off when measuring and fitting. And also waxing the console.

It was a pain getting the decals off. A hot gun and 3m adhesive remover. Plus a lot of elbow grease. I took off all the Parker decals as well.

Just saw your other question. The back side of the teak will have posts that will fit the holes of the frame of the former plexiglass door, plus I'll need to drill a few holes on the top too. Using posts will mean that no hardware will be visible. No screw holes with plugs.

I'll use some sealant when I assemble, and the teak s finished on all sides.

FF,

Per Dale's advice I'm using Cetol Marine light, and after 3 coats, I'll finish up with their gloss.

Looks awesome! Gotta love a boat with bright work!

Once I finish up this one, I think I'll make a teak back rest for the leaning post. I think that would give the boat some visual balance. Plus, I can build in some tackle storage. I have found that having rods in the rocket launchers on the leaning post just get in the way when fishing.

Can you guys suggest someone in the MA/RI area to make some uprights for the seat back? The uprights would fit in the 2 outside rocket launchers on the leaning post. Basically the way the aftermarket back rest is built, but I'd be replacing the vinyl back with a teak one.

I'd build something that looked similar to this photo of this rothbilt.

Attachments

• rb.jpg
    rb.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 808
Here are some final pics of the teak console trim.
All in all, I'm happy with the final product. The opening on the left holds 3 or 4 plano boxes and whatever else you want to throw in there.

I wanted to touch up some varnish spots once I got everything installed. I should have given it a light sanding before hand though. I think there must have been something on the surface that the varnish did not agree with. I'll fix her later in the season.

Launched today and managed to clip a rock at low tide which nicked my prop and took a small chuck out of my skeg. Question on this will follow in a sep. post.

Attachments

• Teak 1.jpg
    Teak 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 641
  • teak 2.jpg
    teak 2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 641
  • teak 3.jpg
    teak 3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 641
  • Profile .jpg
    Profile .jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 641
Outstanding! Very nice execution of woodworking skills!
You are a credit to the Parker community! 8)

My real talent is in my prop/skeg wrecking skills.
Wood is easy to fix.

Slipstream":3u1bxqtt said:
My real talent is in my prop/skeg wrecking skills.

Not a big deal. We've all done it.

FWIW... I was entering a narrow inlet last weekend and slowed to let another boat pass...
When I did, my motor stalled. :shock:

Didn't realize it at first due to the noise from the other boat. The wind started pushing me towards the bridge pilings and when I looked down at my instruments and saw the tach reading 0, I knew I had a problem...

Got the motor into neutral and got the motor fired, but my error was dropping her into gear and making a stbd correction... The boat pivoted and the port side stern whacked the piling smartly.

Talk about an embarrassing situation. Not only did the smack make a horrendous noise, but there were witnesses.

Checked everything carefully at the dock and there was no damage, but in time, things like that happen.

The only boats and motors with out dings, scratches and scuffs on them are the ones sitting at the dealerships and factories. We may not like them but they are the signs of a real boater that uses his vessel. Fix em and buff em out the best you can and move on. That is my motto anyway.

Back