Testing a battery

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
What is the best way to test a battery? My batteries have gone through 4 seasons. They are stored in my basement over the winter and periodically charged. They both seem to hold a charge, but I wonder how to test them under load. I would like to get another season out of them before I replace them.

Most auto places load test batteries for free. That's really the only way to know for sure. That said, you can do some stuff at home:

1) If there is a .050 (sometimes expressed as 50 "points") or more difference in the specific gravity reading between the highest and lowest cell, you have a weak or dead cell(s). Using the battery manufacturer's recommended procedure, applying an Equalizing charge may correct this condition.

2) If the battery will not recharge to a 75% or more State-of-Charge level or if the built-in hydrometer still does not indicate "good" (usually green or blue, which indicates a 65% State-of-Charge or better).

3) If a digital voltmeter indicates 0 volts, there is an open cell.

4) If the digital voltmeter indicates 10.45 to 10.65 volts, there probably is a shorted cell. A shorted cell is caused by plates touching, sediment ("mud") build-up or "treeing" between the plates.

5) Load Test the battery as recommended ... ;) .

Load tester, I have this one and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7612-Bat ... B0009XQUJI

0YnQqTCjaAYTyaijU_idmOEZcMFsuTWn8mQGkUtQECaCDY7fYg0uJPEU4pp3vyckbfY3Mls2HqfZe4exurNL3vitfUWrdfKX-uU7bo02_WLHpNNukz5mXxW1gyFGQkn8yKRs6Ri34pQG4BvVd9j-EfWI7OAPZA

Back