thanks guys , should I get the windlass or not

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashman

Reaction score
I have spoke with someone and they told me not to get the windlass. Any thoughts on the subject. thanks the trashman. Some day I will have an extra hand on the "vessel" and some day not. the trashman

I like having a windlass. It makes anchoring in rougher water easier as well as amongst other boats. the one mistake I made was not getting a free fall windlass.

B-Faithful":pz3c2nzp said:
I like having a windlass. The one mistake I made was not getting a free fall windlass.

Me too. While I suppose I could just walk my lazy butt up to the windlass, release the gypsy and have the anchor "freefall", it's just nicer to just flip a switch....

Before I had the windlass, my wife was in charge of dropping the anchor when she was with me. However, I found that she did not understand the significance of the word "Now". Caused more than a few "heated discussions".

Learn from our mistakes.

ScoopsAhoy":ak54zxzs said:
I found that she did not understand the significance of the word "Now". Caused more than a few "heated discussions".

:D Been there!

By all means, get a freefall windlass.
I'll have one someday... :| Until then, I raise and lower mine by hand.

I agree. It was the only option my wife insisted on when we were looking for a new boat. I have the factory-installed Lewmar Horizon 500. It works great. I would have liked a free-fall model, but this meets my needs very well.

Without a doubt get it!
I had the Pro Fish 700 free fall installed,it was a pleasure bottom fishing and I know it will come in handy this week when I anchor in the rips for stripers.
Don't leave home without it :wink:

If you fish on the hook much. And or move from spot to spot much than unless you have a big strong 25 yr. old man on your boat you need the windlass.
Get a good reliable one that is plenty large for your boat.
Freefall is a must if you fish any reefs.
Most rewarding accessory I have added to my 2520 Parker since
I added the 9x24 trim tabs. Has saved many a sore back for me.

TRASHMAN:

I have the Lewmar Horizon 500. It's not a freefall, however, if you want a windlass but don't want to spend the money on a new windlass, I would be willing to sell you mine at a nice discount.

Mine is 3 months old and has been used on maybe 6 trips.

If you are interested, do some research on the unit, see if it works for you and if so, make me an offer.

Trashman: I found this on the internet: MIne came with the boat and included 300' of rode and some chain. I think I paid $600-$700 for the package.

Fast, powerful and compact rope/chain windlass with power up/down and emergency manual release is proportioned to compliment the smallest of foredecks. The high-performance Horizon 500 comes with up/down switch, circuit breaker and mounting hardware. Efficient internal spur gear box with non-runback clutch and permanent magnet motor handles loads up to 500lb. Guaranteed to provide years of reliable service in an often-challenging environment.

Durable chromed-bronze gypsy
Handles 1/2" three-strand line and 1/4" high test chain
Waterproof, coated aluminum housing
Max. Load: 500lb
Draw: 25A@12V (100lb. load)
Speed Up: 62'/min. (100lb. load)
Speed Down: 98'/min.
Power Down: Yes
For Boats: to 30'
3-year warranty
239-500(List $ 1069.00)$739.95

Attachments

• Horizon 500.jpg
    Horizon 500.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 2,614
Every time I tell my dealer I want a windlass installed, he talks me out of it! He claims they are the primary source of repair calls (although I had a Good windlass on my last boat that never gave me a problem.) He showed me how to use the anchor retrieval float system which does work. I usually just hump it up by hand though.
Maybe I need to schedule the install on my salesman's day off :lol:

Anchor balls are great except when you find youself in a crowd. You need space to use them. We do a lot of anchoring up and swimming in popular areas as well as sometimes I find myself in a crowd when chumming in late spring. It is nice to be at the controlls when setting and retreiving your anchor especially if you are a 1 man show like I am a lot (wife keeps the kids safe until we are set). I have only had my windlass 3 seasons now but I havent had a problem. I believe mine is a Good.

Scoops,

I may be interested if Trahsman doesn't want it. My wife has been telling me that a windlass would be nice as well. I guess she thinks it's too difficult putting the boat in and out of gear while I'm up on the bow doing the hard part... :?

Wind comes up, white caps at 1'+, wet foredeck, add a little rain or mist in the mix or better still, torn rotator cuff.

Windless is cheap.

I fished the rips today and all I can say is that a windlass will be one of your best investments.I didn't have one on my other boat and it used to get pretty hairy at times bringing the anchor up,today it was a piece of cake,best 1500 bucks I ever spent. :wink:

gw204":1hrz0jta said:
Scoops,

I may be interested if Trahsman doesn't want it. My wife has been telling me that a windlass would be nice as well. I guess she thinks it's too difficult putting the boat in and out of gear while I'm up on the bow doing the hard part... :?

May be a blessing in disguise.

Right on. I have the original warranty card. I never registered it. Manuals, etc., I'm pretty sure the one I replace it with will have different controls so I will remove the on that came with the 500.

If you're interested, PM me with what you think it's worth. If we can come to an agreement, you'll just have to give me time to remove it.

Another vote for the windlass. Makes life a lot easier. Ive got a Horizon 900. No complaints here. My friends who have been on the bow of other boats just smile as they sit dry in the pilot house and watch me push a button.

Another yes vote.

After going without a windless for five years, my anchor man, has worn out. Acutally I think it's a matter of him being a 45 y.o. stone mason that wore him out...........

Anyway, I dropped the 2320 off on Saturday for the installation of an Ideal 1-A capstan style windless
http://www.idealwindlass.com/images/lineonly.jpg

I choose this model for durability, ease of setting quietly, and minimal disturbance of the foredeck.

The ability to quietly drop the anchor is vital to our White Seabass fishery. With this set-up you still drop manually and thus no motor or clutch/gear noise. Pulling is a breeze, though you do have to go to the foredeck-easy with the high bow rails.

I pick the boat up today and look forward to putting the new toy to work.

JW

Back