The Multimeter, the best tool in your toolbox...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabob4

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I've been wiring boats at the OEM level for 16 years, as well as all the rewires, installs, and repairs in my side business. I have found the multimeter to be the tool I use the most, especially when it comes to troubleshooting.

Multimeter Basics
The Multimeter is probably the most important tool in your toolbox when you own an older boat. Over time, so much crap goes wrong electrically with your boat, it is almost impossible to troubleshoot and track down the causes of failures without one.

Now to some who have limited electrical experience, a multimeter may look daunting, when in reality, there are basically 3 functions used on the whole damn dial. DC Voltage, AC Voltage (for those that have shorepower or a generator), and Continuity.

12VDC- Obviously, this setting is used to measure the voltage present in a live circuit, as well as to determine the voltage level of a battery. Very straightforward, simply set the dial to this position...

MultimeterDCVoltage.jpg

Touch the black probe to a good ground and the red probe to the wire/terminal you wish to check for voltage.
If you have a 24V system (like a 24V trolling motor), you'll need to set the dial on 200.

120VAC- For those with shorepower, this is the setting used to check both your outlets and your breakers...
MultimeterACVoltage.jpg

Put the black probe in the ground socket and the red probe in the smaller of the 2 vertical sockets. Readings should be between 118V to 123V. This is a good measure of how well the dock or marina is supplying power.

For checking 120VAC breakers on your panel, remove your panel and drop it down, revealing the backside of the breakers. Turn a breaker on, touch the black probe to the ground bus bar, and the red probe first to the input side of the breaker (to make sure the breaker is getting power), then to the output side. Both sides should read the same, approx. 120V.

Continuity- This feature is used to determine if there is a break in a wire, or basically an interruption in current flow. Set the dial on this setting, it looks like a little horn speaker. Most meters have an audible continuous beep when continuity is detected...
MultimeterContinuity.jpg

Touch either probe to one end of the wire, and the other to where you wish to check to see if it is continuous. When you have a good continuous wire, the digital readout should show 000-001. If it shows a reading of 020, chances are the wire is either loose at one end or the other, or there is heavy corrosion in the wire.

Probe Positions- These are the 2 sockets you plug the probes into...
MultimeterProbes-1.jpg

I also carry an extra black lead with an alligator clip on the end so I can clip it to a ground bus or battery terminal and not have to hold it.

Hope this gives you a little better understanding of how to use a multimeter, and how to further your troubleshooting skills...

salbrent":tm034mye said:
Thanks Seabob

From an earlier posting discussing a bad switch. How do you check it and repair if the ground the wire going to the ground is fine? Thanks I learn from examples

Brent,
About the only "switch" on a boat that has a necessary ground is the ignition switch. Other switches, such as bilge pump, nav lights, macerator, etc., only have a ground if they have indicator lights. The ground is needed to operate the light, you can yank it off the switch and the switch will still turn on and off the device.

In a 12V system, imagine a circle. Power flowing from the batt on the 12V+ leg, power flowing back to the batt on the 12V- leg. So if the ground is checked to be good to a known "good" ground, like the neg batt terminal, than the problem lies on the positive wire of the switch...

Hope this helps...

back to this thread, Seabob
Check the continuity on the ground wire on the back side of the gauges with a known "good" ground, like the ground bus behind your helm, if you have one. Gauges "pegging" is not a sign of over-voltage, it is typically a ground problem...

How do you repair it?

Brent,
Determine where the breakdown in the ground is...

Start with the feed from the main ground to the source it is supplying. Then, through continuity checks, see where you lose that ground. There is where the problem lies...

FWIW, my trusty old Fluke meter died about a year ago and couldn't be fixed. Didn't want to spend the $$$ for another Fluke, so I just picked up this one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FL ... ss_product

So far, very happy with it and it has a lot of nifty features and seems to be well rated. Back lit LCD display, full set of ranges, a nice set of probes, and it even comes with batteries already installed. All for $35. It is not auto-ranging, but neither was my $400 Fluke. :D

Latest posts

Back