Thru-hull - 90 degree SS

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350bake

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the Holidays. Looking for input from those who have replaced thru hulls on their pilothouses. I have a 2001 2520 Pilothouse with a notched transom that I purchased this past July. This is my second boat and one that I want to make a 'boat for life'. Like many of you I am continuing to explore and make her more of my own with add-ons. One of the easy changes I am looking to do is replace the existing thru-hulls with stainless steel for the fore and aft bilges.
The port thru-hull towards the stern appears to be an inch and an eighth thru-hull and is a 90 degree that fits nicely with the bilge hose arising from the bilge.
Has anyone been able to match this thru-hull - meaning a 90 degree, inch and and eighth size. I found the straight inch and an eighth but not with the 90 degree angle. The straight thru-hull will appear to create a problem as the hose will be challenged to fit as it comes up from the bilge area and will need to make a sharp turn in a tight area.

I appreciate any input or where I may be able to locate an inch and an eighth stainless steel thru-hull that is 90 degrees. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Larry

I think what you're seeing is a 1" thru-hull with a bronze full flow 90 degree elbow. the full flow starts as a 1" and in order to maintain the full flow it comes out as a 1-1/8" hose bib. Don't know if they make it in stainless. Groco Makes them.

350bake":kcr0ff64 said:
... is a 90 degree that fits nicely with the bilge hose arising from the bilge.

Has anyone been able to match this thru-hull - meaning a 90 degree, inch and and eighth size. I found the straight inch and an eighth but not with the 90 degree angle. The straight thru-hull will appear to create a problem as the hose will be challenged to fit as it comes up from the bilge area and will need to make a sharp turn in a tight area.
Well, USCG, ABYC, ABOS, LLoyds, marine surveyors, and anyone involved in marine safety/insurance would tell you that you do not want a 'direct from the bilge' exit straight to the thru-hull, however convenient. The recommended method is to add a riser loop above the discharge thru-hull that will prevent a back flow/siphon of water into the bilge.

Personally, on items of safety, I find that whenever rigging something is convenient ... it usually means it isn't as 'safe' an installation as it could otherwise be. Just be aware of the limitations of the method you're seeking.

Photo source: Yacht Survey

Attachments

• bilgepump.jpg
    bilgepump.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 408
Thanks guys for your responses.

Dale, when I am able to inspect closer and if loops are not present I will create loops in both bilges expecially the forward bilge as that exit is close to the waterline.

Thanks again,
Larry

Back