Thru-Hull install and bait/washdown pump

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goinsfishin

Reaction score
A warning to the faint of heart......This is NOT Kevin's bildge !!!!
The dirt is real!!!
I spent last winter getting the boat seaworthy and running after the PO passed away and the boat sat for almost 4 years....this year is for cleaning and adding goodies.
The dirty bilge was ignored as it is out-of-sight, out-of-mind. it's cleaner now than in these pics...
A quick project to install a thru-hull for the baitwell pump and a raw-water washdown.
Measure out and locate the spot. Drill hole slightly oversize (1 1/8"). Drill backing plate hole tight (1"). Counter drill set screw holes in bottom. Goop generously with 3M 5200. Place thruhull in position and set screws in scoop. Don't let 5200 drip in mouth, the stuff tastes terrible!!

Get back topside and goop inside of hull, and backing plate with more 5200, assemble and tighten down hand tight.
Let sit overnight and tighten the rest of the way down after 5200 is set.

Start cleaning filthy bildge.

I'll update as I plump and mount the pumps.
Steve

Attachments

• Dirty Bildge122907.jpg
    Dirty Bildge122907.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 867
  • Mark the spot.jpg
    Mark the spot.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 867
  • Hole drilled.jpg
    Hole drilled.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 867
  • Gooped up 5200.jpg
    Gooped up 5200.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 867
  • Final assembly.jpg
    Final assembly.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 867
Nice work Steve. :)
Don't worry about the dirt. It cleans up easy. :D

I should have taken photos of my bilge when I bought her. She had a leaking trim tab HPU and there was at least 2 quarts of 'free' ATF floating in the bilge water along with 3 and 1/2 quarts of ATF in bottles.

The 4 quart bottles gave me a clue that something wasn't quite right. :roll:
Thank goodness for Zep Orange and Simple Green!

Nice job, but you really should have used a seacock. If that valve ever snaps off the thru-hull fitting, you would take on lots of water. :shock:

Seacocks:

fbv-sck-sys.jpg

BV-08-wv-mr.jpg
[/url]

96TL":3ca07vog said:
Nice job, but you really should have used a seacock. If that valve ever snaps off the thru-hull fitting, you would take on lots of water. :shock:

It's funny (well, maybe not funny) how few manufacturers use seacocks properly. :(

From what I remember of Megabyte's bilge, Parker did use seacocks, but they aren't screwed/bolted to the hull like they should be. Don't feel bad though, my Grady has ball valves... :(

gw204":3ud4385u said:
96TL":3ud4385u said:

Don't feel bad though, my Grady has ball valves... :(

I actually installed my own thru-hull and seacock. I used a 4"x4"x3/4" piece of Okoume wood as a backing block. I wet the whole piece with West System epoxy (neat), then used thickened epoxy (with Cabosil) to glue it in place. I then gave the rest of the wood a coat of thickened epoxy. I used the second Groco thru-hull I posted above as my seacock along with a Groco mushroom thru-hull. I set them both with 5200. The three seacock lagbolts are screwed through the Okoume into oversized epoxy filled plugs. When everything was cured, I gave it a few coats of marine paint color-matched to my gel coat.

I don’t think any manufacturer would really have went through all that work just for one thru-hull , but a big hole below the waterline is no joking matter to me.

Dom

Back