Time to re-do the anchor rode! What are you running?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
So there seems to be several different ways that people rig their anchor rode. My current setup (from the PO) is about 8 years old & its time to replace it! (I've already reversed the nylon line a few years back). Whats on the boat now is pretty funky, rusty, abraded, corroded, and I'd like to clean it up.

Right now I have:
Bruce anchor <->bow shackle<->~10' BBB chain<->bow shackle<->proof coil<->swivel<->thimble braided to 3/strand 1/2" line

I'm guessing that the PO at some point decided he wanted more chain and added whatever he had handy, resulting in the mixed chain with the bow shackle joining them.

I mostly anchor in <50' of water and spend a lot of the time in the water diving with the boat unattended at anchor. I don't have a winch, though I'd like to add one in the future.

What I'm thinking of going with is 20' of 1/4" BBB (so that it's compatible with the Lewmar Profish 700 I've been dreaming about for years) and 300' of 1/2" 3-strand nylon.

The questions I have are:

(1) Whether to use a swivel (it seems like introducing a weak point to me for very little discernible benefit)
(2) Direct splice to chain or use a shackle and thimble that is spliced onto the nylon line? Pulling my rode up through the bow roller is a PITA with all the bits and pieces that exist in the last 20' or so. The idea of a streamlined splice is very appealing to me.

Its crazy how expensive basic ground tackle is!

Also, does anyone know of a good use for rusty old 1/4" chain? I hate to throw it in a land fill, but I don't trust it on the boat any longer. I'll probably re-purpose part of it (along with the nylon line) as a stern anchor for the couple of times a year I overnight at the local islands.

When I last replaced my rode, I did so with a package from a source I can no longer remember.
What I have is a package of anchor > swivel > 30' of BB chain > 300' of 1/2" 8 plait.

I do not have a windlass (yet), but this rode will work for me when I do install my windlass this winter.

Megabyte":3gugktbb said:
When I last replaced my rode, I did so with a package from a source I can no longer remember.
What I have is a package of anchor > swivel > 30' of BB chain > 300' of 1/2" 8 plait.

I do not have a windlass (yet), but this rode will work for me when I do install my windlass this winter.

So you have a swivel (like the one pictured below) attached directly to your anchor?

JHHGH1_1020147.jpg

Seems like a better way to do it than my goofy setup. One thing I noticed is a lot of corrosion (and wear) on the cross-bolts that attach the swivel to the chain. I'm assuming because of the dissimilar metals. Mine look like they are ready to go any time.

SBH2OMan":20o2sozj said:
So you have a swivel (like the one pictured below) attached directly to your anchor?

JHHGH1_1020147.jpg

Yep. That is exactly the one I have on my anchor.

Megabyte":1o4xzmyj said:
SBH2OMan":1o4xzmyj said:

JHHGH1_1020147.jpg

Yep. That is exactly the one I have on my anchor.

Me Too. Then 25ft of 1/4in BBB with a splice to 600ft of 1/2in 3 twist Nylon.

100_5158_zpsa4ebc87c.jpg

I use a shackle mainly bc no experience with swivel and don't believe their holding strength. I would look at where the chain was made. A lot is made outside of the US but ACCO still makes some marine galvanizef chain in their MN plant and the rest is made overseas. Peerless makes ACCO and other brands.

Kevin, what is that white thing on top of your anchor and what type of anchor is that? I guessing the white thing has something to do with maintaining the anchor angle for digging in?

shawnee83":2ta5r4s6 said:
Kevin, what is that white thing on top of your anchor and what type of anchor is that? I guessing the white thing has something to do with maintaining the anchor angle for digging in?

It is called a "HydroBubble Captains Choice" (mine is the low profile model), and you are correct... the 'bubble' orients the anchor so that it descends and lands with the plow oriented to dig in.
The manufacturer, Anchor Concepts of North Carolina, suspended production the week of February 4, 2008.

Read about them here: http://www.azuremarine.com/e1en/groups/ ... bubble.asp

DaleH":366rwxtl said:
FWIW there are great deals on rode/chain combinations at Defender Marine, see: http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?pa ... id=2226892

Those prices seem really good (especially for the 8-plait, which is the only option with >150' of line and >20' of chain. I'd prefer it to be 25' of chain (especially since it is G4 and a wee bit lighter). If I build the same myself using 3-strand and proof coil, its actually MORE expensive!

I leave the boat unattended while diving and like to leave out lots of scope with plenty of chain so that I don't have to constantly be swiveling my head to check the boat!

What are you're guys' experience with 8-plait vs 3-strand in our little bow lockers? Does it lay out nicely (I don't have a windlass).

SBH2OMan":1cx37nf4 said:
What are you're guys' experience with 8-plait vs 3-strand in our little bow lockers? Does it lay out nicely (I don't have a windlass).

I don't have a windless either (yet), but I do have 8-plait and it is quite pliable and 'puddles' nicely in the chain locker.
Windless has been bought, it just needs to get mounted and wired. :)

Megabyte":1y9eumkj said:
Windless has been bought, it just needs to get mounted and wired. :)
Is that before or after the radar???

SBH2OMan":jrb6maff said:
DaleH":jrb6maff said:
FWIW there are great deals on rode/chain combinations at Defender Marine, see: http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?pa ... id=2226892

Those prices seem really good (especially for the 8-plait, which is the only option with >150' of line and >20' of chain. I'd prefer it to be 25' of chain (especially since it is G4 and a wee bit lighter). If I build the same myself using 3-strand and proof coil, its actually MORE expensive!

I leave the boat unattended while diving and like to leave out lots of scope with plenty of chain so that I don't have to constantly be swiveling my head to check the boat!

Hey Brent

I had 8 plait rode on my Steiger. Laid down nicely in the bilge. The Steigers have a small anchor locker and the 3 strand piles up quickly. With the 8 plait, it was much better. I also noticed with my windlass, the wear with 8 plait was less.
BTW, mine was bought at Defender.
There is a place in Florida that will custom make whatever you want in terms of chain and rode.
They do all of Lewmars factory branded chain and rodes.
Very reasonable too.
I was going to put 25' of chain on both ends so I could just flip the rode around every season to minimize wear on the 8 plait.

TunaJoe":361sy5ho said:
Hey Brent

I had 8 plait rode on my Steiger. Laid down nicely in the bilge. The Steigers have a small anchor locker and the 3 strand piles up quickly. With the 8 plait, it was much better. I also noticed with my windlass, the wear with 8 plait was less.
BTW, mine was bought at Defender.
There is a place in Florida that will custom make whatever you want in terms of chain and rode.
They do all of Lewmars factory branded chain and rodes.
Very reasonable too.
I was going to put 25' of chain on both ends so I could just flip the rode around every season to minimize wear on the 8 plait.

Hey Joe! Thanks - I compared the prices of the place in Florida and they were more for the 8 plait setup, so I'll probably just go with Defender.

8 Plait is the best. You can at least double the amount of rode in the locker compared to 3 strand. Easy on the hands too.

The rode to chain splice is not as straight forward as a 3 strand splice. Some riggers are better at making the splice than others. The better the splice the smoother the transition of line to chain over the gypsy. If not a smooth transition the line to chain splice can bounce and grind a bit as the gypsy tries to grab it before going into the locker.

Good luck with your purchase.......you'll love the line.

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 759
I will add my .02 here. I run a Lewmar windlass with my 2320. I also use a 'pucker' aka release rig, on my anchor in the event we hang up the anchor badly.

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/dhmojo/m ... r.jpg.html

I got fancy and bought a $200 22lb 316 anchor on eBay. Also 3' of 316 chain. The rest, 15' of galvanized chain, sits in the locker.

Literally makes the boat 'shine'.

How many ft of 1/2" rode can you fit into the locker of a 2520? i have the lewmar 700 and deciding between the 300ft spool or 600? i would like 600 but not sure if it will fit...(3strand)

togslayer":5j7brd34 said:
How many ft of 1/2" rode can you fit into the locker of a 2520? i have the lewmar 700 and deciding between the 300ft spool or 600? i would like 600 but not sure if it will fit...(3strand)

If using 3-strand, you probably won't get much more than 300' in there.
I have 300' of 8-plait in mine and the locker is about 1/2 full.
I don't need any more line than that here in the Chesapeake, so I stuck with 300'.

Aside from the fact that 8-plait works well in a windlass, it is softer and lays better in the chain locker allowing you to carry more line.

Back