Timonium Boat Show Disappointing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jim

Reaction score
Friday evening I went to the Timonium Boat Show as I have done for the last few years. I was surprised at the small crowd, and the number of boats on display appeared less than last year. One supposedly "noted" seminar speaker spent the first 15 to 20 minutes advertising his guide service and pushing his favored boat dealer. I thought it would get better but was not impressed and walked out. Tri-State was there as always, and to me was the biggest highlight.

I had previously planned to also attend today but after last nite, spent most of this afternoon in Tochterman's Tackle Shop (great folks) instead. I had heard from others that the show was going downhill and I agree. Unless some changes are made, I won't waste my time next year. See you in Upper Marlboro next weekend.

I was there this afternoon. I agree the crowds were light. But it is probably more a factor that people have overspent, then refinanced the home to pay the credit cards, and have run the credit cards up again. They have jobs (4.8% unemployment in the Nation right now), but they are plain out of money. Talked with a banker who is watching the whole thing unravel. This Spring will be the peak for pas-due balances, ARMs re-adjustments, and bankruptcies. He says it happens about every 20 years...last one was in the early 80's.

Our grandparents didn't have credit cards and paid cash...our parents paid large down payments on their homes and cars, had few credit cards and low balances...our generation has lots of toys bought with no money down, lives high off the hog, and is in debt over their head. For our generation, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Last year was standing room only for the well known guides. It will probably be off for a couple of years while people pay down their debts. Don't give up on it yet. You will probably see the same thing at the Upper Marlboro show, and any other boat/fishing show you go to this year. Wanna bet the same thing is happening at the RV shows?

Dave

aka

Good point Dave. It had crossed my mind that the economy was affecting the turnout. I think what really ticked me off was the 3 seminars I attended. 1 was decent, 1 ok (advertised speaker couldn't make it), and then the 3rd with the BS...that broke the straw! I guess 1 out of 3 isn't bad?

We will see what happens at the Chesapeake show.

I was also underwhelmed by the two supposedly famous LTJ and fly guides that spoke. Both pitched some stuff from their sponsor, and one spent the opening 5 minutes talking about the boat from the manufacturer who sponsors him. I don't care if they wear emblazoned shirts, or put the vendor's name on the headliner of each slide. I just hate it when they spend valuable time talking about the sponsor's equipment.

Guess that is why I like to hear Walleye Pete give his talks....it is all fishing tips.

Dave

aka

I got some great tips from Pete just while BS'ing across the cleaning table at the Kipto Inn, and at the dinner table at Stingrays. :)

I'm sure that the economy is having some impact on the shows, but I also think that this medium may be a part of it.
Folks who participate in boating and fishing forums learn what others use, they learn what works, and they learn what doesn't.

Armed with that information, orders are placed online and delivered in the big brown truck.
I still shop at my local bait and tackle shop, but I also buy online...

Having said that, I still like to go to the shows to hang out with friends almost as much as I like looking at gear I can't afford. :D

I didn't close my wallet completely.

I came out of the Timonium show with an insulated tackle bag that doubles as a cooler. Really neat. I'm forever taking way too much tackle and too large of a cooler for C&R fishing. My goal is to get each trip down to what will fit in the bag (both fish baits and fisherman food/drinks). If I can't carry it to the boat in one trip, it probably shouldn't go with me.

Next task is to make a rod carrying contraption that will let me carry 4 rigged rods in one hand, and the new tackle/cooler bag in the other.

Any ideas?

Dave

aka

"I came out of the Timonium show with an insulated tackle bag that doubles as a cooler"

Got any pictures?? That's what I'm looking for..

Greg and I hit the show last Friday. It was my first time going and I wasn't overly impressed.

I did get a look at the new Sea Hunt 245. For the money, that is a nice rig! Almar's had a nice display of new and remanufactured Mercs. The Bud Light was delicious and I actually didn't think the hot dogs were too bad.

But my favorite item at the show was the chic in the pink shirt serving food.... Unfortunately, she was not for sale. :D

Hot dogs not that bad..... :shock:

You have got to be kidding me! They were slim jims on a bun :lol:

Almar's desplay stole the show :p :lol: 8)

B-Faithful":jqengz77 said:
Hot dogs not that bad..... :shock:

You have got to be kidding me! They were slim jims on a bun :lol:

The Bud Light clouded his judgement. :D

Megabyte":wadpwznd said:
The Bud Light clouded his judgement. :D

It was either that...or Budweiser (which is worse), soda or drain the gas and oil mixture from a 4-stroke Yammy oil pan and drink that. :D

Bud Light is my beer of choice right now anyway. I've found that the more of it I drink, the smarter I get....until the next morning. :D

gw204":3lxensh8 said:
Bud Light is my beer of choice right now anyway. I've found that the more of it I drink, the smarter I get....until the next morning. :D

From the brilliant mind of Cliff Claven...

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells.

But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

Back