Towing 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabirdwt

Reaction score
I will need to upgrade my vehicle before buying a used Parker 1801 once I move to the Newport NC area next year. I have had a 19' Seacraft by Kencraft (bought new) in the past and towed with a 2003 4Runner. Sold both when my son went off to college. My current setup is a 2015 Honda CRV AWD and a 2009 Scout 145 40hp yamaha 4 stroke. I love the Scout for the type of fishing I like to do.

My thoughts are buy a vehicle (probably used) that gets good gas mileage when not towing capable of boat ramping the Parker 1801. The neighborhood we are relocating to has a nice wide ramp but steep.
What are others using to tow their 1801 boats?

Thanks
Bob

Maybe 3500lbs. Would be interested if anyone ramping with a 3500lb or so rating. Eastern NC is flat land so no hills, except ramp.

I’ve been very happy with both a Jeep 4 door wrangler, a Jeep gladiator and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. All six cylinder.

Thanks Efx for sharing your ramping experiences. Seems a 6cyl can get the ramping done.

Maybe 3500lbs. Would be interested if anyone ramping with a 3500lb or so rating. Eastern NC is flat land so no hills, except ramp.
Sooooo true about what 'seabirdwt' said about the flatlands of eastern NC.... My neighbor had a load of fill-dirt dumped in his yard. The state sent a group of officials from Raleigh, to decide what to name the new mountain... (this is almost not a joke)! ☺

I am in Morehead but just use a 2WD Acura MDX. Never had any issues pulling my Parker 18. I only have to tow it 2 or 3 miles to the ramp and back but the ramp itself is the only “slope” and it’s never been an issue.

MY 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 straight 6 does the trick for me. Tow capacity is easy to accommodate since my loaded 1801 with trailer is 3,500.
Tongue rating is where you need to be mindful.
Problem is that the newer vehicles of similar size aren't rated as high.

I have a 2001 1801 with a 4 stroke Yamaha 115 and have been towing it with a 2012 Honda Pilot, no problem. It’s been very easy getting it in/out at the ramps.

Keep the crv for your good fuel economy vehicle and if only towing in your neighborhood might think about picking up a junky pickup / suv. I always like a vehicle I don’t feel bad about getting a little salt on or fish slime.

For years I had a Tahoe which didn’t even know a boat was back there. But I needed to downsize once kids left.

Did Honda Pilot for a few years but it was. “ squirelly” on anything but good ramps- ie our beach has a dirt ramp and the Pilot could not match the Tahoe there.

Now have VW Atlas- love it. Great price point and mire safety features and better mpg than Jeep or Explorer and plenty of power.
Tows and pulls the 180

Bought my 1801 used from Starling in Morehead City. Drove the Lexus RX350 , pulled it fine back to ,WS. Only problem was the fuel burn went from about 20 mpg down to 9.3! The next Lexus did not get a hitch. Much cheaper to drive the F350 diesel.
Back when I had a 24 ft Stamas , pulled it with a 69 Chevy van. 283 with 3 speed manual trans. After 70,000 miles I realized the body was stretching, as evidenced by the spot welds pulling out of the rear wheel wells. The Chevy did good, but sure needed radial tires and Positraction.

The 2014-2018 chevy half tons get around 20mpg. It can easily tow and Stop most boats. Braking is usually the scariest part of towing in my experience, except for my 07 4cyl 4wd 5 speed tacoma. That yota had no balls at the ramp, couldn't even pull a empty (18') boat trailer out in 4 low. I gave it hell but I could smell the clutch so I just gave up and got a tug. I've drove stick shifts my whole life so no issues in that department.

Back when I had a 24 ft Stamas , pulled it with a 69 Chevy van. 283 with 3 speed manual trans. After 70,000 miles I realized the body was stretching, as evidenced by the spot welds pulling out of the rear wheel wells. The Chevy did good, but sure needed radial tires and Positraction.
That van had a full frame, How could the body stretch from towing?

i wouldn't worry about how steep the ramp was for power as much as grip. i’d want a good 4wd with good grippy tires.

why not another 4runner ?

can pull extra slow so water drains as she comes out keeping the load factor down. but your not gonna get anywhere if the tires are just spinning.

That van had a full frame, How could the body stretch from towing?
I built a hitch that was thru bolted to the frame. Have to assume the frame stretched too. The Stamas was on a steel Long trailer, and it weighed about 8350 as I recall. Great boat, the Merc 233 not so much. Would love to buy the boat new right now, but with modern power and trim tabs. Come to think of it, I would like to start over 46 years younger myself!!!

A 2020 Tundra pulls my 1801 and before that it was a 2008 Tundra. I certainly didn't get my truck for the gas mileage but I can pull my rig around town, across states, up hills down hills and up the steepest ramp without worry. I will say when vehicles get a "tow rating" applied to it it's not so much about how much it can pull, its also about how much it can stop.

Back