Towing 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishaddict

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just about to get 2120 with dual axis and surge brakes. I have 2011 Nissan Pathfinder rated for up to 6k lbs towing with 4.0 L engine. Do you think I can temporarily (300-500 miles)tow it with Nissan or it is crazy idea?
Thank you. Mike

Temporarily? One time that far or several times over the next year etc..? Going over mountains or anything? Locally, 10, 20 miles I'd say no problem at all. Boat and trailer is prob in the 5,500 lb range. Shouldn't have any problem at the ramp etc. only asked about distance part as that far at highway speeds regularly you might want sonethung bigger?

Major highways, prob about 300miles. Can stop to cool off transmission. I more worried about weight of the boat similar to towing vehicle. I can go slow uphill in right lane.

According to the performance bulletin a 2120 full of fuel is ~4800 lbs. What's the trailer, 1600+ or so? That would be ~6400 lbs. Not sure of other stuff in the boat. You could run the tank way down and probably save 500 lbs. If you chance it I would absolutely invest in a good weight distributing hitch as you'd be pulling heavier than the tow vehicle and I imagine the Pathfinder isn't meant to handle a 700+ tongue weight. Good luck.

Fishaddict":269ar212 said:
Major highways, prob about 300miles. Can stop to cool off transmission. I more worried about weight of the boat similar to towing vehicle. I can go slow uphill in right lane.

So major highways 1 time to bring it home? Or is this a regular thing? You didn't answer that part. You obviously want to tow it with the tank as close to empty as possible, or at least until you get close to the ramp. Gas weighs rounding up 6.2 lbs/gal. 80 gals of gas would be about 500 lbs as John said. My galvanized Shorelander Tandum trailer that came with my 2120 is a little under 1,300 lbs. Without splitting hairs, you can say with little margin of error the boat/trailer is 6K. if you tow with the tank low on fuel. I was light with my 5,500 lb answer. Thats the number I've always tried to convenience myself of because of what I've been using to pull mine in and out with. I've only towed mine a few times the distances you mentioned. Once when purchased and once last year to bring it home from the coast to work on. Borrowed a friends Tahoe for the first and just rented a pickup truck from Enterprise for $62 each direction the second time. If towing to the shop locally in Beaufort I will use my wife's Explorer for those short (10 miles or less each way and not over 50 mph) moves. My takeaway to this rambling is if this is a one time thing for these distances then you can either go for it and get away with it or rent a truck as an option? If it's going to be multiple times per year, you probably need to consider getting a bigger vehicle? This delima is why I just pay for storage for my boat in Beaufort as I live 300 miles from the coast. As much as I go down there, the fuel alone for the tow pays for the storage quickly. Good luck!

Just one tow with some uphill driving. About 4 hours of normal driving. Planning to stop every 40-60 min to cool off engine/ trans. Most likely will drive in evening to avoid traffic.

I would consider just renting a truck. Like I mentioned, I rented one from Enterprise and total was $62 for 24 hr rental. For not putting your vehicle through the stress and ease of mind I would just go that route. I don't know the area you are towing to but the hills in your reply have swung me in this direction. If this can't be a 24 hr turnaround and will cause you additional rental days then I understand that as well. If you rent, make sure you add not only rental coverage to your personal policy but also key is loss of use coverage. These are only a few dollars (mine was $3)a year and allows you to decline the rental ins. That kept the truck rental down to $62 for me. Good luck with your transport.

They do not rent trucks in my area. It is too upscale I guess;)

Back