Trailers for 2520XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceblizzard

Reaction score
I have owned my new 2520XL for nearly 2 months now and so far this boat has been awsome. I do have some questions for folks that have this 16 degree hull on a trailer. My boat is sitting on a Load Rite 27T7400 roller trailer. My initial thought is that this would be enough trailer for the boat. This is what the dealer recomended. Well, I can not get it to load straight. It will always sit lower on the starboard side. And the tongue weight is nearly 1000 pounds. All of the adjustments have been made to balance the load. Now I have noticed that the main frame rails are getting a nice arch to them over the axle mounts. It is worse when it is full of fuel. Does anyone else run this trailer under their 2510 or 2520XL? What other makes and capacities are being used. I'll deffinately be making a change here in the next couple of weeks.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

From what I've been reading sounds like you need a trailer rated for up to 10,000 lbs. I just purchases a 1998 Parker 2520 MV with 14 degree dead rise, ordered a custom trailer from local maker and they recommended 10,000 lbs. which has 15" tires and load range "D". The sound of an arch in the main frame doesn't sound good, I would recommend looking for good trailer man to set it up for you. As for the listing to one side, it may be that the ramp you are using may not be level from side to side? check to make sure fenders are at the same depth underwater before loading. This is the link for the trailer builder I'm using in Florida http://www.slideon.com/portfolio.htm
Good luck!

Charlie... jimjybe is correct. A 2520 needs a 10,000# tandem axle trailer with disc brakes on both axles.
Many dealers will fit a 2520 to an 8500# trailer due to price point, but it is just too light for a loaded 2520.

Personal preference... I'm not a fan of roller trailers. I've owned them, and prefer bunks.
Bunk trailers (with the addition of keels bunks) load straighter. and don't mark up the hull like rollers do.

If you are worried about water depth at your ramp, get torsion axles.
They lower the trailer center of gravity and put the trailer lower in the water to boot.

Bring that new girl up to the annual raft-up.
We'd all love to see her!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10665

I'm in the process of taking the trailer back to the dealer and getting a heavier trailer. The trailer they sold me was basicly the same trailer that is under my 23SE, except it has 5200# axles. The same 3 x 5 frame. The next heavier trailers step up to a much heavier 3 x 6 frame. If I was just going a couple of miles to the ramp I might consider keeping it. But bouncing 7500 pounds of boat up and down the highway needs a pretty heavy duty trailer. I like the rollers for the ease of loading and unloading by myself at pretty much any ramp. Haven't had any problems with marking up the hull with the yellow rollers. Captain Kevin, I'm working on getting off work to come up to Annapolis. As good as this boat is on fuel, I'd like to cruise up the Bay. I'll let you know for sure if I'll be there.

Charlie,
Eden, Md.

I cannot comment on the trailer other than to say that roller trailers do not need to be put in the water as deeply as bunk trailers. Your boat should center itself between the roller trays providing the trailer is not too deep and doesnt allow the boat to move around on the trailer. It is one of the advantages to a roller trailer (it doesnt need to be dunked nearly as much and works well on shallow water retrieves)

Just returned home from a local truck scales. My 2520XL full of fuel, fresh water, safety gear, electronics, and a small amount of fishing tackle, weighed in at 8,920 pounds sitting on a Load Rite 27T7400G2 trailer. I'll try to get the trailer weight in a few days.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

Charlie... Are you bringing that new girl to the Rendezvous tomorrow?

8,920 pounds... aren't you glad that you weighed her?

Capt. Kevin, I tried to get off work this weekend so that I could attend. The summer months in the power industry keeps all of the staff at my job pretty busy. So no, I won't be attending this year. Yes, I am glad that I weighed my rig. The gross combined weight of my tow vehicle with me in it, and the boat and trailer is 16,360 pounds. Folks need to think twice about the duty of their tow vehicle, and also the braking needed to stop all of the weight.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

ceblizzard":qcxqh72z said:
The gross combined weight of my tow vehicle with me in it, and the boat and trailer is 16,360 pounds. Folks need to think twice about the duty of their tow vehicle, and also the braking needed to stop all of the weight.

Roger that! 8)

Have a 2530 with IO. For 13 years had a 7400 lb tandem axle trailer.

Bought new one last year to move. Went up to 8000 lb trailer. I towed it 1200 miles.

Dana

Charlie, yes I have pics. And some are on this website. Some under extended cabins. Some under trailers.

I had a 7,400lb tandem axle, rollers, dual drum brakes. Went to 8,000lb, tandem axle, dual disc brakes, LED lights, and a little longer.

Attachments

• P1040915 (Medium).JPG
    P1040915 (Medium).JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 142
  • P1040919 (Medium).JPG
    P1040919 (Medium).JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 143
  • P1060975 (Medium).JPG
    P1060975 (Medium).JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 143
Back