transducer Install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Dorsey

Reaction score
I just received my Airmar B164 tilted element transducer and am curious if someone here might have some advice on a mounting location. I am told for optimum performance the transducer should be 12-18" from the transom, but this is not possible on the 2120, UNLESS I notch out the little shelf in the bilge. Not sure what this shelf is for, anyone know why its there?
Also, should the ducer be on the starboard or port side, and what's more critical.. the side its on or how far forward so as to be a good distance from the prop.

Thanks for any help on this, its a big hole to put in my boat and it has to be right.

for a RH rotation prop which is standard on a 2120, the optimum location is starboard side about 8" or so up from centerline just like Megabytes install. just come as far forward as you can to the shelf. the shelf is where other models have their batteries installed.......probably just storage on a 2120. the shelf is not structural and can be trimmed but i don't think it is a factor on your install.

FWIW the biggest performance mistakes people make in transducer install location is mounting the transducer behind or near something that creates turbulence such as a lifting strake, other thru hull, scoop, or any other obstruction that will disturb the flow of water over the transducer face. the reason for the recommended setback from the stern is turbulence from the prop which there is more on the port side because the blades are swinging upwards towards the hull, and also the closer you get the the edge of the stern, the water begins to accelerate (turbulence) as it bends upward coming off the edge.

good luck.

The little shelf is for the oil resivoir when you don't have a 4 stroke. I have an HPDI so I have the resivoir there

See if this photo helps.
This is the tilted element on my 2520 MVSC.

Image-DD7D6FE00D5C11DC.jpg

Back