Transome Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelhookedup

Reaction score
First I would like to say thanks for all of the help, I have learned alot from this forum. Now the big question. I want to run a wire/cable threw the transom for a speed sensor. I wanted to just run it threw the scupper but was told I shouldnt. It was recomended I drill a hole just above the scupper. What do you guys think. And if I do drill the hole what would I use for an insert for protection and what would you use to seal it? Should I just get another scupper and use that? The boat is a 2320 just picked it up yesterday :D Thanks Sean

Reelhookedup":2nj8vkln said:
First I would like to say thanks for all of the help, I have learned alot from this forum. Now the big question. I want to run a wire/cable threw the transom for a speed sensor. I wanted to just run it threw the scupper but was told I shouldnt. It was recomended I drill a hole just above the scupper. What do you guys think. And if I do drill the hole what would I use for an insert for protection and what would you use to seal it? Should I just get another scupper and use that? The boat is a 2320 just picked it up yesterday :D Thanks Sean

I've had several boats where I just ran the transom mount transducer cable through the scupper. It never seemed to affect performance. Don't know why it would be any different for a speed sensor. You can even notch the flap that covers the scupper holes to allow the flap to close as normal.

Drilling your first hole, in your new boat can be unnerving. Think it through. Through the scupper is easy but doesn't look very good. Through the hull takes more effort but will have a cleaner look. Performance wise, I don't think it will matter.

2nd question: 5200 or one of the Life Seal products.

My best guess is that the recommendation not to go thru the scupper was based on safety. As that scupper drain should be clear and open in the event you take a wave over the stern.

To be practical, those that are there are woefully too small even as installed, to prevent a swamping.

If you drill a hole up higher, I'd wet out the wood core with epoxy, even if waterproof 5-minute type. Then use a clamshell cover sealed with Boat-Life Life Seal or 3M 4200.

Why not run it over the transom with 3M cable hooks, and tie downs.
Mine is drilled through the transom, and 3M5400 to seal the hole, then have a SS fitting to finish it off...that's only because mine was professionally installed. I HATE drilling holes, and would sacrifice aesthetics to not drill.
I've seen a lot of newer boats run wires right over the transom and flush mount them. Or the scupper seems to be just fine. Only issue I see is that you invalidate the main purpose of the scupper....let water out, not in.

Back