Trim Display Not Working

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channel_surfer

Reaction score
Hey,

2005 2520SL with F225, bought new last year. This is the second season in the water. The trim display on the factory yamaha meter is not working this year, it shows full down trim no matter what position the motor is in. Anything quick I can check? I looked quickly for wires or a trim sender and it was not as obvious as it was on my last motor which was a 97 Evinrude 2S.

Thanks!

The trim senders can be a problem if they stick or the plastic arms break off. Showing down all of the time, I'd guess the sender is stuck down. They're usually mounted to one side of the engine bracket. Mine started acting up after the second season, showing engine down most of the time. I now hit it every spring with some CRC or WD-40 to keep it free. It's spring loaded so trimming the engine down pushes the sender arm against a stationary post. When the engine tilts up, spring tension in the sender is supposed to return it to the proper position. If it's just stuck, soak it and carefully work it back and forth by hand being careful not to break the arm off. Mine took a while but eventually came free. Needs to be done with the engine up so you can get to it easily.

John

A common problem, but easy fix. Had it happen on previous boat (twin 150's) and this year also (twin 250's) As the previous post suggests its the wiring as shown.

Is the arm of the sending unit supposed to "snap" back into place quickly? Mine has a dampened motion, taking about a half second or more to return to the fully up position.

After reading this post, I went out to the boat and raised the O.B. as high as it would go and sprayed WD-40 into the sender while working it with my finger. I figured a little prevention couldn't hurt so I sprayed it before it went bad.

It does not stick, (or read improperly), but returns immediately from any position with a sluggish but constant motion. Like I said, it takes more than a half second for a full swing return. Does this sound normal, or should I keep spraying it until a quicker response is achieved?

All fixed, just had to work the arm loose and give it a shot of wd40.

Mine acts the same way, slowly returns to up if you push it down. Feels normal.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I checked it again tonight after a "soak" period with WD-40, and it had the same dampened response. At least I know what is normal now. Maybe there are water seals inside that create friction and the sluggish response. Of course the response is way faster than what the OB can move. Thanks again Steve.

Latest posts

Back