trouble docking their 2320PH

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashman

Reaction score
Did our first run last week on the Upper Chesapeake Bay. It was very windy. The pilot house kept us very very toasty. It was a challenge to pull her out and put her on the trailer. I should have read all your posts before. Thank g'd I was the only one at the nearby state park so I had plenty of time and no 30 boaters or so behind me.

Decided: I need a boat lift for sure, but that is not in the makings for the time being

Decided again: Buy 2 looooong paddles and row her in.

Decided: At out pier 2 loooooong lines anchored out and pull ourselves in

Or keep on practicing. Good fishing eveyone. Trashman

Just relax and take your time. Take her to the ramp before the real boating season starts and practice loading and unloading her. Work at your own pace and remember boating is supposed to be fun. By the way, most of us are nervous the first time or two out every season.

Don't feel bad...it happens to all of us.

[war story 1]
My first trip was at Sandy Pt. State Park...close to the Navy capital of the World.

Boat is festooned with U.S. Army and "Go Army Beat Navy" stickers.

Captain is wearing an Army PT t-shirt.

Two old Navy salts are standing on the dock.

Wind is blowing across the docks.

Captain tries to bring his brand new, shiny boat in on the downwind side of the dock.

Captain muffs the approach and ends up about 3' from the dock and the wind is increasing the distance rapidly.

Captain puts the boat in reverse and tries again...only to muff the approach again.

Captain repeats stupid moves in front of Navy salts two more times.

Captain learns hard lesson and approaches on the upwind side of the dock.

Captain doesn't understand just how much force the wind has on the boat and slams brand new, shiny boat into dock.

Captain tries again and finally stops boat about 3' from the dock, parallel to the dock, and lets wind gently push boat to dock.

Captain (with sweat on brow, and curse words under breath) exits boat and ties off.

Navy salts chuckle, turn about, and walk away.
[/war story 1]

[war story 2]
Captain takes boat to Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base

Boat is still festooned with U.S. Army and "Go Army Beat Navy" stickers.

Whole bunch of Navy Seals are standing on their very fast, heavily armed ugly gray boat.

Captain (again in an Army outfit) backs boat down ramp.

Captain exits tow vehicle and unhooks the winch cable from the bow eye.

Boat does not move.

Captain, who is now standing on the tongue of the trailer, asks HO to back the tow vehicle further down the ramp.

HO, who hasn't driven a manual diesel truck in years, pops the clutch and the entire rig jumps about 10' backwards before HO kills the diesel engine.

Boat screams off the trailer.

Captain hanging desperately onto the bowline so as not to loose control of a very expensive Army boat in a Navy harbor gets jerked off the tongue of the trailer and dumped unceremoniously into the water.

Captain surfaces sputtering and coughing large amounts of sea water.

HO apologizes profusely as Captain asks HO to go retrieve the transom line and help tie off.

Navy Seals in highly armed ugly gray boat are laughing their a$$es off.

Captain leaves HO to protect boat and gear as he goes to the Navy Lodge to change clothes.

Captain is in sour mood for the remainder of the 4 day trip.
[/war story 2]

Don't ask me how I can relate these war stories.

Dave

aka

Trashman
Where do you launch from? I have used Turkey Point, Elk Neck State Park. Just wondering if that was where you were launching from.

I have put my 2120 almost sideways in my boat lift because of the wind.Its a cabin thing. But running aground on a clam bed the first time out with my boat is the PITS.Had to call my great neighbors to help push me off.

trashman":3mr5zpc9 said:
Or keep on practicing.

That is the key item right there. :wink:

Close quarters handling of a single engine, bracketed, pilothouse boat in windy conditions can be challenging the first few times out, but there are a few things you can do to make it easier.

"Keep on practicing" is good advice. Taking note of current and wind conditions in the area you want to dock is another. Look at the AToN's and the bases of pilings as you approach a dock. Can you see moving water? Look at flags or other items to gage wind direction and speed...

Sandy Point State Park is an excellent place to practice, and this time of year (before the crowds show up) is a good time to start. The ramps at SPSP are the best in the state, so at least you have the best possible conditions to practice under.

Launching and retreiving from your trailer is learned by doing it time after time. How far to dunk the trailer depends on whether you have a roller or bunk trailer. In this case, spending an hour or two watching others launch and retreive will be an educating experience. When you see it done right, you will know it. When you see it done wrong, you will know that too! :shock:
Learn from what you see others doing, both the good and the bad.

Sandy Point is also an excellent place to learn boat handling skills. With 22 ramps, a dozen slips, and a finger pier on the east side, you have all the objects you need to polish your skills.

As Dave said, watching the wind... and making it work for you goes a long way toward gaining skill and confidence. If you cannot make the wind work in your favor, understanding what you have to do to make a successful landing. Modifying your approach and having your lines ready, can turn an unfavorable wind, into a non-event.

As Matt said, take your time and don't rush anything.
Don't approach a dock any faster than you want to strike it, because in the beginning... strike it you will! :shock:

Put out your fenders (this is where you will determine if you bought the right ones, and the right number of them), and ready your dock lines.
Understand that your spring line is the most important line you have. You can make fast to any dock with your spring, and it will keep you in place while you affix your bow and stern lines (if needed).

After launch, idle out in the park harbor... Take notice of the wind direction and speed and select a launch ramp away from other boaters as your 'target'. Giving yourself a favorable wind, idle towards your chosen dock keeping the boat under control and your speed manage-able. If your speed is too high, kick the motor out of gear and coast to lower your speed. Still too fast? Bump the boat into, then out of reverse to lower your closing speed.

Practice coming into the docking pier under control, and at the proper distance away. Do not over react and attempt to control a situation by using extra throttle. Anticipate the path you will take and react accordingly, but do so before hand. Boats don't have brakes, so you have to use wind, current, and prop thrust to control yourself.

If you blow the approach, don't dispair. Back out and try it again. Sometimes you just need to 'do it over'.

Once you are successful taking her in bow first, try backing it into the pier. You'll learn a whole new set of skills... Notice which way the boat moves while in reverse. Also notice that the reaction (and the pivot point) is different when you clutch into forward gear. File these facts away because you will need these skills later.

Once you're feeling a bit more confident moving the boat where you want to, practice landing in the slips, or over at the finger pier. Understand that you are allowed to use your rub-rail against a piling to pivot into a slip. That's what pilings and rub-rails are for. Once you get better at boat control, you won't need to touch anything, but it's not a sin if you do use the pilings.

When backing a single engine, bracketed boat, it is helpful to raise your motor a bit (but not too much), so that the props thrust goes under the hull instead of against the transom. Practice this in the open water and you will see how much motor tilt your boat requires.

While performing this maneuver, notice that your boat does not have as much thrust (thus speed) in reverse as it does in forward gear. Remember this fact because you will need to apply this knowledge when maneuverung around the docks. :wink:

Remember that neutral and momentum can be your friend.
Too much momentum can be your enemy. :evil:

Remember to do everything slowly, and at idle speed.

Read that last sentence again. :wink:

Boat control is an art. When done well, nobody really notices.
When done poorly, everyone notices. :)

Above all... don't stress, and have fun. Practice, practice, practice.
Heck... I'm still practicing. :D

Good luck!

Back