Use of bleach on gelcoat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
I just received a GW publication called Anchorline. It contained a short article from their customer service group that advised not to use bleach on gelcoat. It is commonly used to remove mold. They suggested using white vinegar instead... full strength, sprayed on the mold. They claim that bleach can "damage the color pigments of the gel coat." They mentioned the site

http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/mold.

Just passing it on... I haven't tried it yet.

I'm not going to dispute GW because they may be using a different gelcoat, but I have used bleach (sometimes straight out of the bottle) on the deck of my 2520 many, many times... and she still looks new.

I also put a quart or so in my wash water when giving her a complete bath. Maybe Parker uses a different gelcoat, but I've been doing that for 4 full seasons now with no ill effects.

YMMV.

Been using bleach water on my Parker and other boats for years

and never had any discoloring. A friend told me about oxyclean

instead of bleach last year but it is not the same. I went back to

bleach. The bleach does play hell with the color on the pantlegs of my

bluejeans though.

9 years of bleach with no problems. I do about the same as Megabyte and use it straight on decks, and mix it into my wash water. I even put it in a spray bottle and use it to spray the top of my hard top, in crevices and corners of battery boxes, bilge, anchor locker, around the perimiter of where the console hits the floor, etc, etc. Just always make sure to rinse with plenty of fresh water.

When I clean my boat I mix up ~3 gallons of water with SoftScrub(w/Bleach), a couple ounces of boat soap and probably 4-5oz of bleach.

It makes the boat very clean and it smells that way too. It has no harmful effects to the gelcoat.

I have also been using a little bit of bleach in with boat soap and water for years with no side-effects.

Interesting note, I was told by a professional boat detailer to always use boat soap. For years, I was using Wisk but he said laundry detergents contain something that removes the wax.

I thought bleach took the wax off. I was told by some friends with boats not to get the bleach on any part of the boat you want to keep wax on.

I've been trying to figure out how you guys keep your deck so clean. The inside of my boat is beautiful I have just had a heck of a time keeping the deck clean. I've used diluted bleach. Straight bleach boy I don't know about that.

Thanks for all the info, I will keep an eye on this.

Parkerman":312cuubj said:
Why would one wear jeans on a boat?? 8)

"HUH"...during the summer I always wear jeans(and briefs not boxers under them)!!

Real chilly here on the Delaware Bay still this year.. Haven't been out
yet Temps high 30's and 40's with 20 to 35 mph.north winds""
Stripers haven't started on hook and line either. Water temps low 40's
Fishing limited to stocked trout in a secluded state owned pond..

have been using bleach for years and just started to use tilex as it seems to stick in place better. I also wear jeans on my boat due to green heads if you have a bunch of green heads around your ankles it will ruin your day out.

Back