Venting cabin

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheerios

Reaction score
I wanted to share the difference of the air quality and odors in the cabin after I installed the solar air vent to the roof of the pilot house. The vent has been a great improvement to the cabin air and stale air smell

Cheerios

I have the Beckson rain shield vents in both of my trunk cabin windows.
I would like to put one of those solar powered vents in the middle of my Bomar hatch, but I just can't bring myself to cut into that hatch.
You only get one chance...

I see those solar fans on a lot of blow-boats in my marina, many of them installed in the hatch.
Not sure about clearance below as my Bomar has the bar to keep the hatch in the open position on the underside.
How much clearance underneath does the solar vent require?

Megabyte":3eol42aw said:
I see those solar fans on a lot of blow-boats in my marina, many of them installed in the hatch. Not sure about clearance below as my Bomar has the bar to keep the hatch in the open position on the underside. How much clearance underneath does the solar vent require?
I bought one from a CP member here. The Nicro fan would need 3-1/2" under the panel for space, but that isn't what prevented my install. In use, it is NOT weatherproof against wave intrusion. Rain proof - yes, but wave proof - not. Saltwater will flood and kill the solar circuitry, so I ditched the idea to place it anywhere near the bow. I've taken waves over the bow and up to the helm windows before, so when I'm offshore in seas, everything up forward gets locked down.

For venting, I too use the Beckson shields and then also have a dorade box on the cabin roof. That is a multiple baffle design and I've rarely taken any water in from above ... but that one day was in 10' seas.

I'm a firm believer in venting one's boat ... specially the bilge!

I dumped the idea of the solar fans, I read alot of reveiws and it apeared to me about 50% of the people loved them and 50% of the people expressed failure after 6 months. Wasnt going to cut a permanent hole based on that info

I had all the same concerns plus I have two 60 lb dogs who travel the boat so I placed the vent to the rear of the pilot house and just forward of the rocket launchers that kind of protect it. I also have the rain guards on my port hole forward windows so that there is a steady air flow. Unbleavable difference. I only hope this helps to prevent the pitting of the aluminum window frames.

Cheerios

Back