VHF antenna

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Yup, I did it, forgot to lower it and snapped 5 inches off the tip.

It's a Shakespear 5101, on shakespear site, for a boat under 24ft they are saying a 3db gain like a 4 footer is more suitable but all of my boat 21-24 foot always had 8 footer and I've broke antenna every few years.

Deciding if I should replace it for the same, getting something shorter or buy a Galaxy or digital. I'm hesitating on getting a more expensive one since I'll probably break it again before it die of old age and if I can get away with a 4f footer maybe it's a better choice.

I'm usually about 10 miles out but would like to be able to go 20+ miles out at some point.

Replace with a Digital 529....They have a special end on them....Easier to install.....Easier to replace when broken.
Why? Because it has a special end on it....So no cutting the end off and having to solder. There is a end on the cable...It's JUST slightly larger than the coax......Then there is a adpter that screws on that and also screws into the back of the VHF.

No you don't want a shorter antenna.. Not unless you want to decrease your range?

The Digital 529 is 8ft....Personally....I install the Black ones....But there are White if you prefer.

Just ordered the exact same one as I have now. I don't have an issue with soldering and by time I'm done, I'll be cutting my cable down to 18 inches so I think it's not a big deal. My antenna is right above my radio.

Back